1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM2 EZ-V Makes grinding noise when used

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 2006F350Diesel, Dec 18, 2009.

1. 2006F350Diesel

2006F350Diesel Junior Member

Raise plow, move left to right, scoop and vee makes a grinding noise, has new fluid in tank anyone have any idea what it could be?????

2006 F350 6.0 Diesel Fisher MM2 EZ V-plow
    180 Watts 8 outlet strobe pack
    Amber L.E.D's on plow headlights
    Craftsmen 19" Snowblower
    Shovels

2. plowman_25

plowman_25 Member

mine made some noise when i first got it, so i sprayed every moving part with white lithium grease and now no noises at all...don't know if its a pump issue for you or just metal to metal like mine was... good luck

drew

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

On the plow that my dad uses at his office the chain makes a grinding kind of noise when it is used....start spraying around with some fluid film to find out if metal to metal is your problem! Then look internal!

4. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

gringing or growling?

Did you find out what your problem was?

5. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

if it sounds like ""grrr brrrrnnnn grrr brnnnn " sounds like a motor could be bad..if you have metal in the fluid it could be a pump... I vote motor!!

6. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

moan ang groun motor

If it's a used plow with the original motor, chances are it's the motor. But it's a used plow with your 2nd or 3rd motor in a very short time, it's not the motor. You would think it's the motor like I did. So, if your are replacing motors DON"T through your old on out because chances are it's still good.

7. 2006F350Diesel

I put a new motor on the plow, still making the noise, could it possibly be air in the system???? When the old motor came off, it came off in 3 pieces. It's def. not the chains

8. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Same with us. put on new motor had the same problem until I put in a new bronze bushing on the top where the shaft goes into the pump housing. After that it was like new again. I even put my old motor back on.

9. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

The armature is hitting the fields in the case and grounding out. If the old one fell apart it's the old style motor. End plate, case, armature. New motors have a pressed on bearing on shaft and into end plate.

10. 2006F350Diesel

Thanks for the input SnoPro, ill look into that tomorrow

Craftsmen 19" Snowblower
    Shovel and someone who can operate it

11. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Check shaft

Make sure to ck out your shaft where the bushing rides. The new motor should be just fine. But if you kept your old motor and won't to try it, ck the shaft for wear first. It may work just fine at first but it won't take long for the shaft to EAT the bushing. They don't come out easy, in my case it did because it was so thin. They rec using a puller, but you have to take the pump off to do it. What we did is used a drumel with a tappered cutter. MAKE SURE you put a cotton ball or 1 sheet of TP with vasaline t catch the bronze or it will stay inside, eat the seal. Also put a slight coat of grease on shaft and bushing. this should fit snug. Use a caliper to ck shaft size against bushing wear. ID on bushing is .625 or 5/8". The total bushing is .750 OD / .625 ID / .625 Tall

12. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

if I am doing it still on the plow I make a cut with a hack saw to give the bushing relief... I put grease to catch the filings..and a mini puller to remove (PITA).. most of the time I replace the seal at the same time so if its on the bench.. when you take the pump off give it a wack.. comes right out..