1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM1 wiring/solenoid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by stallion81, Feb 6, 2014.

1. stallion81

stallion81 Junior Member
    from IL

Hey guys new to board, 1st plow I owned. Plowin for my brother since 96' so Ive worked on a few a bit, but not wiring. I've only got 20-25 hours on it as I was down early year rebuilding my truck engine. I did do general maintenance as in replacing ATF with Blue, cleaned filter,housing and magnet, dielectric plugs.

Fisher MM1, stoped working yesterday on a push. Just a click from motor solenoid. Up a bank, chain up and took it home. Grabbed a solenoid, they gave me an Oregon 33-431 universal. I checked the motor, runs on jump. So I put the new solenoid in, now not even a click.

Now this is not wired per say fishers diagrams. Only the brown/red to the primary, other primary(ground), they had running directly to control(black/orange from control was cut and never mounted to solenoid).My truck does have a toggle for the lights, but its backwards as the plow lights work with truck switch, I hit the toggle for the truck lights. All lights work, so I'm assuming my issues are just with the one harness lead(plow motor). It is a 3 plug MM1. My test light housing is broke, works but the lead is short so I'm gonna get a new one today.

I'll check all the motor hook ups today, and the ground curcuit from the motor, but I guess I would have to ask if the universal solenoid needs a ground from a primary, or if it grounds thru the mount? My old solenoid kinda looks like an old Ford solenoid.It must have grounded thru the mount as only 1 primary had a wire. It did and does have 12v at the brown/red primary wire. Thanks for any help.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea if the solenoid has 4 terminals it needs to be grounded. 2 big terminals are your pwr in and pwr out. The 2 small. One is signal pwr and one is gnd

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

that solenoid should work according to the images i saw online

4. stallion81

stallion81 Junior Member
    from IL

Thanks Ill try a ground wire....However I have to assume not all 4 post solenoids need a ground from the primary. Looking at the old one, it must indeed be a truck starter solenoid. It does have the I & S on the primaries. If I remember correctly that was ignition and starter? I thought those were grounded thru the mount? The old one I pulled didn't even have a nut on the "I" bolt. No wires were connected to it. Just the 12v brown/red hooked to the "S" post coming from the control. Granted its been over 10 years since I owned an old CJ or F-250.

I got a new test light, gonna start checking it. I'll assume its wired for a body mount "grounded" solenoid, and I have a new style. I cant recheck the old one as 1 of the "battery posts" snapped off on removal. Hope a ground wire from the other primary post is the trick and the old solenoid was indeed bad.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. dieselss

Without seeing it you could be right. Just get a plow solenoid, or one rated for plowing and you'll be fine

6. stallion81

stallion81 Junior Member
    from IL

YEAH BUDDY....Your the man, dieselss. Quick ground from the other post to the battery.....all good. Thanks for the help. My solenoid exp is with 78-79 Jeep CJ's and 77-79 F-250's. Those were indeed grounded thru the mount as was the old solenoid for the plow. In fact I bet it was a Ford starter solenoid.

Thanks again.

7. dieselss

Your prob right it was a ford solenoid. Good deal glad its fixed. Happy plowing