1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM1 stopped working tonight

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ChevKid03, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

My friend was working his MM1 tonight and his plow just stopped working.. He checked connections and all were good. The plow doesn't move in any direction when activated. You can hear the pump "scream" when you try to move the plow. This "screaming" noise sounds different from what it usually sounds like. Expecting another 6+ Sunday and then another on Christmas Eve.. Any help or advice as to what to look at would be greatly appreciated. :nod:
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

what motor do you have on it?
  3. pelletman

pelletman Junior Member
    from MA

can you tell me what the problem ended up being? My dad has the same problem with his MM1 Series A Pump, serial 37213 on the plow. Thanks Dave
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I'm going to guess that it wasnt serviced before the season started and its really cold out so it froze up!!!!

Get it inside and thaw it out, if it works after thawing it out, flush and fill the system.

And next year, change the fluid BEFORE it starts snowing!!!
  5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I was talking to a guy today that had the same problem on one of his trucks. When he got new fisher fluid, the guy told him to add a little Sea Foam for trannys to it. He said it worked great and he has had no problems since. Mine is starting to do that sometimes and usually if I let off the button and hit it again it works fine. It was -25 when mine started doing it. Worked fine today but the temps were much warmer.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Mine did that in the fall when i went to pull the plow out for the year...popped out each plow side solenoid, cycled them a few times to clear them out and they've been fine since!
  7. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Mine is doing the same thing.I bought it used and the fluid looks like mud.It has frozen up 3 mornings in a row I have to keep hitting snow banks to loosten it up.I plan to drain the old fluid out this weekend and replace it with new Fisher fluid.I am new to electric plows how do I clean all the gunk out of the valves?
  8. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Ever find an answer to this?
  9. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Just buy a new one. :D
  10. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I just picked my plow up, its a mm1, and it went up, barely pivoted to the side, then screamed. i dropped it back down and it wouldnt movie up or side to side again. all it would do is scream. any ideas?
  11. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Pretty sure you just have a wireing connection issue between truck and plow.

Have a helper operate the plow and go wiggle the connectors together where it plugs into the truck.

Even better to clean them up really good so you don't have the problem again.

Make sure all your grounds are hooked up on the plow too.
  12. Crash935

Jerked alot when yoou tried to angle it?
  13. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Tried cleaning all the connections, had someone wiggle while i poushed the joystick, and it didnt really jerk when i tried to angle it. fluid is full, so its not that. my buddy mentioned the solenoids on the side of the pump are prone to failure?
  14. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Fluid Film all your connections while your at it.
  15. Crash935

Got the easy part out of the way if its got fluid.

Need to check for ground at the coils and if you have a ohm meter check the ohms on each coil, should be around 7 ohms.
  16. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Okay well i short chained it and took it to my buddies shop to sandblast it. this weekend when i get it back together i will check the ohms and report back my findings. thanks guys