1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher mm1 Motor r&r

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BBC co, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BBC co

BBC co PlowSite.com Addict

So last storm went to hook up the plow that i had already had on the truck prior and was working fine for testing and ofc when I need it to make money there is an issue. I went to lift it to put the jack up and it would not lift so i tried to angle it and it went left but then when i pushed it to the right it went left more?? So I shut the truck off went got my neighbor to look at it and it ofc lifted and moved fine when he showed up, then stopped working again but was still making noise like it wanted to move so I shut it off. Come back out an hour later with someone on the phone to try and diagnose it and it worked fine lift, drop side to side all fine plowed 5 hours with no issue other then operator created :p

So I was told that a bush or solenoid may have froze in motor? and to hit it with a hammer int he future... Personally would rather not go through that again, does it sound like the motor needs to be swapped? IF Yes then how hard is it and any one link me a diagram to where bolts are located to r&r it thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The motor would have no role in it at all. It's either the controller, connector, loose connector on a coil, or a failing valve. The motor is kicking on when commanding a function correct, it's just not completing the command, or activating a different command then requested?

What are you running for a plow? It's obviously a straight blade, but mm1, mm2, what kind of pump assembly?

3. BBC co

can post some pics in a few minutes it is I believe the original mm1 didn't know there was more then one type of mm1 but this is what i was told came with pushplates to a 97 dakota

it says Insta-Act Modular Hydraulic Unit 25-IA-003921 patent pending it is a 7'6" LD I was told again will post a few pics when i get a few minutes to take them

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

no need, that's enough info.

Are you using a joystick, or handheld controller?

5. BBC co

hand held, went out there to take pics and was following your eliminate teh obvious list and on the back of the motor there is the little black box and the wire that runs into it seems very lose and wiggles freely when i touch it i assume that is not good and i should start by removing that box cover and tighten that?

Also i see your a dealer whats the cost on a lift piston for this it's the 6" with threaded top where ram comes out and do you ship parts to ma?

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yup, I would certainly remove the box and examine, that is where your coils and valves are located. There is 3 of them on a straight blade, 2 spade terminals on each coil / valve. The one that bounces coil to coil, this is the ground, which is grounded to the side of the pump. If any of the spade terminal connections are loose, take a pair of needle nose pliers and gently squeeze them to make for a better connection. If the harness is flapping in the wind so to speak, outside of the box, route it accordingly, and zip tie it to the headgear to stop it from happening again. One of the connections on the S3 valve is all but guaranteed to be loose, but I wouldn't any of them out.

[​IMG]

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm not a dealer, but the place in my sig is one of the top dealers, best priced, and tax free. Give them a call, they can ship it to your door.

8. BBC co

k thanks alot

9. BBC co

And i'm back unfortunately good thing is we got snow and I managed to keep it going till the end of day any way.

Replaced the 3 pin female wire on plow side due to a wire totally breaking at the connector during storm

Unfortunately I need the truck side now any one have a used one needs to be 4 port straight blade
    dealer wants to much for it

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

You can buy the repair ends for $50, part 27063K

11. BBC co

great thanks for the part number too much appreciated

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

13. BBC co

brutal 2 of the 3 dealers don't have them in stock other is closed till monday no weekend hours..

Still looking for a replacement wire or repair connection 27063K if any one in the south shore ma area could help me out paying cash would take a used truck side wire even as long as connection is good

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

If you're up for a trip to Rye. NH - 60 miles or so, Lang's Corner Garage should have them on the shelf...call them to confirm 603-431-9727. They're there till 2 today I think. I'm sure he would leave it outside for you if you pay over the phone as well....food for thought.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. BBC co

found a local NAPA parts store that stocks fisher parts can have it monday for me faster then the local dealers nice to know, not sure what else they stock but a good place to call in the future if any one is ever in need of parts that are out of stock at the dealer.

Was close to getting in the truck for the ride to nh thanks as always repoman.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ayhup, I didn't even think of that. The Napa's around here carry them too...hit or miss of course. They stock them out of their warehouses, so it's faster then Fisher Thumbs Up.

17. BBC co

Now this was my back up plan,
    Cut the connections out and just splice the truck side to plow side with heat shrink wire connectors, or even just connectors so it can be removed from truck still.
    (3 days later I think of this zzz) and only after replacing the plow side and confirming the truck side connector is also junk, would not want to cut a 270$ wire as a temporary fix but...

Do you think this would be ok as a temporary solution in a storm or like in my case out of stock items, to just keep going or get it home cause when mine went ofc I knew it was coming but when it went the mold board was on the ground.

In the end I think that connection mounting plates truck side may have prevented this, but as I bought it used who knows what the preexisting conditions of the connections really were. Also I remember the plow side power cable connection looked like it had a fire or grounded out bad it was all melted and I replaced those on install that should have been an indicator to replace or inspect others. Live and learn it's my first plow and I learned.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  18. RepoMan207

from Maine

Oh yeah, if it were in the middle of a storm, I wouldn't hesitate to chop them off and direct splice them together. With that being said, I might take a moment and think about how much that was going to cost me in the end....I wouldn't think too long. It's sorta like asking for forgiveness, rather then permission lol.

19. BBC co

:mechanic: :jester: defiantly :laughing: irl well with that being determined glad it was at the end of the storm during stacking and I didn't lose to much $ by calling it a day at that point but would have saved me alot of time ******* with he connection in the storm, honestly the how much is it gonna cost me would never of even crossed my mind forward progress at all costs is how i live

20. BBC co

hey is it possible to have to much dielectric grease on a connector? I got a fisher replacement end for my truck side controller wire and it was loaded with grease hooked it up tried it worked fine, now when i hooked it up and turned the controller on and went to raise the plow the lights flashed and the motor clicked and controller died assuming fuse blew gonna go check it but wtf

just checked both inline fuses and the truck fuse that the plows jumps off of none are blown

ya both sides are new, what would cause no power to the controller is what i'm wondering if no fuses are blown, so I have all three plugs hooked up and the truck lights come on not switching over to plow lights and no power to controller?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013