1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FISHER MM1 Hydro noises

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nalegtx, Aug 22, 2012.

1. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

Hey guys, so i went to go move the plow to clean out the garage and heard some things i didn't like when powering up the plow. When i go in any direction there is a loud squealing noise that was not there hen i put it away last year. also when going up from the down position it only goes part way and then stops, and it does that very slowly and loudly. i have to keep pressing the up button to get it all the way up. I took apart the electric motor and cleaned it out last year. I also flushed out the entire hydro system and replaced the pump filters. I checked fluid level and it is full. What am i missing? any help please?!?! wanna fix it while its still warm out.:mechanic:

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

do you know the sound it makes when the screen is clogged? Is it like that or different?

3. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the sound. do you think thats the problem? just all the crap in the system settled during the off season. it only got used 5 times last year (no snow here in New England). I just hope its not the hydro unit starting to go. those are $$$

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

That's what I would look at first. when the screen is clogged the pump is trying to suck oil but can't, and the motor spins faster than usual, and there's no load against it so it's higher pitched than normal.

If you check out the fluid and screen again and that's not the problem, then it's time to figure out if it's the motor or the pump. If it's the motor it will draw too many amps (is it dimming your lights more than usual?). If it's the pump then it won't put out the proper pressure (put a pressure gauge on and should be about 1750 psi).

6. nalegtx

nalegtx Senior Member

thanx nealy, i'll check it out tomorrow. Not sure about the lights because it happened during the day. First thing i'll check the pressure and lights. then if i have to i'll drain and drop the reservoir.