1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM1 edge keeps breaking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JABsnow, Jan 18, 2016.

1. JABsnow

JABsnow Junior Member

I used the Grade 5 bolts that came with the new cutting blade for my 8 ft plow. However, the bolts keep snapping off and I am wondering if my trip isn't working correctly. I have had to replace them twice now/ granted I did hit a catch basin in the parking lot that I am plowing but didn't think it would rip all 8 bolts off. With the bolts breaking I realize it's doing what it's supposed to do. How can I test this to see if the trip is properly working so I can rule this out? Thanks!!
  2. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Do you have a skid loader or something similar?
  3. JABsnow

JABsnow Junior Member

No/. Using a GMC 1 ton pick up truck.
  4. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

No I mean do you have a skid loader besides the truck.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If the trip wasn't/isnt working, you'll know it....

Do you have a skid?
  6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We had that problem on a mvp. Oem bolts solved it

Grade 8 was too brittle and I guess the grade 5 from el cheapo was China junk
  7. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

I was going to have him push the edge with the plow on the ground.
    That's how I clean out my edge if rocks or dirt is stuck in there.
  8. JABsnow

JABsnow Junior Member

Sorry I misunderstood the ? On the skid steer. Gotcha ya now. I will try this tomorrow morning. I will make the spring adjustment based on how easily the trip works. My guess is that it is going to be extremely stiff. Is there a setting on the springs that I should try and obtain? Thank you!
  9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

When you put the edge on both surfaces were clean? The bolts had three marks for grade 5 ?
  10. JABsnow

JABsnow Junior Member

I was able to get the trip to move by putting the blade up against a rock and driving forward withe truck. Good news that it did work but it certainly seemed very stiff. I'm assuming I may need to take off some of the spring pressure. Is there a recommendation on spring tension? Thx