1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM won't work, need help please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PreFabber, Feb 8, 2003.

1. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

A buddy of mine has a brand new MM and just this morning he went out to the truck and none of the controls work. He has a Fish Stick. All connections were checked along with all the fuses. I have power through all the fuses cause i checked with a test light. However i have no power to the controller, and yes the fuse for keyed on power lead is good. I'm not too familiar with fisher systems systems, so any help would be appreciated.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As a suggestion - make sure the connectors at the grill are fully engaged. Then, that the FishStick plug is fully pushed in.

Can you hear the motor running when you push the controls?

3. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Mick,
    Thanks for replying so quickly. All those connections were checked and found to be in good shape along with all, and i do mean all other connections for the plow, like the ones to the solenoid and even the isolation module. The solenoid itself isn't even making the usual clicking sound it makes when it engages the power to the motor. I also checked for power to the connector for the fish stick that's a part of the harness, and have no power there either.

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

There are 2 fuses in the controller. They are specific to the west/fisher also check at your controller connector for power at pin #8. If yes jump through #8 and #10 and see if the motor runs. If no then you need more help. Call it's faster.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sorry I couldn't be more help. But at least someone else has more information. There are several on here who have installed their own, so they can likely be of help.

The only other thing I could think of was that, with my Fish Stick at least, you have to push a button to turn it on. I have the toggle switch in the 7.5' and the Fish Stick in the 9' trips me up for about half a second every now and then. When you said it was brand new, I thought maybe he just brought it home from the dealer's yesterday and has never plowed before. But then when I checked your profile, I saw you had seven years plowing so didn't even bother with that one.

PS: I had typed this while Jerre was replying:eek:

6. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Jerre,
    I checked all the pins for power, and got nothing. Also, i know what you're talking about for pin #8, but this controller connection has only 6 pins in a 2x3 fashion. The manual we have show no identification for wires with this type plug. As far as fuses in the controller, if that's what you were referring to, there are none, i had checked for that also. i also called the dealer from where it was purchased and also fisher engineering and nobody's around. Figures since we have another blast of snow coming sunday night. I'm actually fairly good with wiring, but these newer systems tend to get a little complicated, and i'm new at fishers. Thanks for the reply.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

You have power at the key on fuse,is that wired to an existing fuse in the box or an aux. that was open because there is also an inline fuse on that same wire that uses a small tube stlyle fuse,i'm not sure if you checked that or not,probably though.

8. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Arc Burn
    I also thought about that tube style fuse, because i have one of those on my boss. i searched around for it, but couldn't find one. There's only one fuse on the keyed hot line from the harness. That line is tapped directy a keyed hot location in the fuse block. I can't seem to figure where the power comes from exactly for the controller. I just found out which wire i need power from in the plug for the controller, but not sure where the source of this power comes from, especially since i have power through that keyed hot wire.

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher controller will have an in-line glass fuse tube between the controller and the source it is tapped to. You need to find the fuse holder that houses the glass fuse, open it and see if the fuse is there. If it is there, then check the resistance between the ends to make sure it is still good.

If you have power coming to the controller, but it won't work, then it probably is not grounded. Check under the hood and make sure that the small gauge grounding wire near the solenoid is connected to the ground. Make sure it have a good grounding contact.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2003
  10. Arc Burn

I just checked the manual(i'm sure you have also?)i have the same plow but the truck is not here or i would look but the manual still states in the troubleshooting guide that 1)power button wasn't pressed(one of mine is slow lately to light up?)2)check Fisher harness for inline fuse 3)grill connection lose. I know you have checked 100 times by now but they claim they use a fuse in that harness yet,other than a ground as already mentioned it is the only thing that makes sense.

11. wwf

wwf Junior Member
    from nh

grill connections

make shure the bat plug is making tight contact with its mate
    my buddy had the same trouble,i had to spread apart the pins for
    for tighter fit.
    bad relay?

12. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

Thanks again for all the replies. I did figure it out. The guy who installed the plow originally got the power for the keyed hot through the fuse panel in an open slot. This is on an 02 F250 by the way which uses mini fuses. What he used to tap into that source was a a connector that's used for sliding under a bolt. This didn't fit very tightly and would lose its connection. When i would hole up the inline fuse for this to check it with the test light, i was holding it in a position that would let it make contact, but when i put it down it would lose contact. After testing it over and over thinking i was crazy, i stumbled across that. I then found that it was a constant hot too. So to i ended up but one of those add a circuits in a keyed hot, and problem solved.
    Once again, thanks for all the input guys. None of us could have seen a problem like that one though. These are the things that are particular to each and every install. I'll also remember some of your guys problems for possible future breakdowns.

13. Arc Burn

Glad to hear you got her,i have had problems in the past with those mini "taps" so i know exactly what your saying,as a matter of fact,we had one come loose this fall for the hot lead on the plow,same as yours,i need to write all this stuff down when it happens so i can remember it,3/4 of these fixes are not in any troubleshooting guide,you just kinda stumble across them!