1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher mm question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ALEX516, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

I have teh in cab joystik and am used to western so not sure whats what here, The plow makes a loud bang when angling left or right with the joystick, and when I push the joystick to lower the plow, it drops right to the ground, even if it just give it a slight activation.

Should this be happening or??

Do ALL fishers go right down?

I think I heard somewhere, but not entirely sure that it's because of the controller I have, and if I get a "fish stick" handheld controller, it will be smoother... ANyone?

Lastly, twice this year I've went to either angle the plow or raise it and it would not respond.

First time I was on a lot and I lost all right angle ability, it still moved up and down (i think) but after f'ng with the stick for about 10 seconds it responded again and was fine thereafter.

Other time was right after I mounted the plow for last storm, it would not raise or do anything, but then after messing (moving in all directions) with the joystick for about 20 positions it was fine again.

Thanks and sorry for being so long with this post.
  2. Rappa

Rappa Member

Yeah going down fast is normal. As for losing action on the blade, that has happened to me a few times in the past when driving for another company. I always just banged into a snowbank or something and it would fix itself. Don't know the cause though...
  3. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Think I have the solution for the plow sometimes not angling. What happens is your carrying chain get wedged on the botton of the frame where the plow pivots. It used to happen all the time to me. You can either take up the majority of the slack on the carrying chain, or bungy cord the carrying chain up to the triangle if you want. Yes fishes always drop down when you lower the blade always has. Hope this helps.
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you may have more than one problem. Don't jump into buying new controllers for 200.00 dollars and the like. Systemmatically trace down your problems or you will spend a bundle. Drop chains do get jammed in the a frame, has happened to me. Start with the no cost items and work your way up. Check pump solenoid, wiring, pump pressure, pressure relief setting will cause you to loose angling functions, water in fluid (freezing ) and what kind of fluid you use. Rule out the simple things first.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  5. iowaegian

iowaegian Junior Member
    from 1

For intermitent function on the angle, I would first "wiggle" the connection in front of the grill. Sometimes the connectors get a little loose.
  6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Iowaegian is right. Just installed a new plow for a customer and the temperature is about 20 below F. Worked in shop, but when taken outside the plow when raised would not angle right, lower it and it would work. Also intermittent functions.Turned out that the new harness is stiff and at that temp., would not flex and was moving the main plug just enough to cause the problem. Flexed the harness awhile and pluged back in and now have full functions, up or down. Sometimes it's a simple solution but we are looking for a more complicated answer. Never had that one happen with a new install before. I know I learned a new one today.