1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM pump gets stuck on

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 00bluegtp, Jul 13, 2009.

1. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I picked up a a 1994 S10 over the weekend with a fisher MM 1 on it and it goes up and down but soon as i move the joystick to the left or right the pump motor gets stuck on and stays on until i unplug it. The previous owner said it does this and you have to take out the solonoids and clean them... Should i try this or do you guys think it is somthing else? Could it be the joystick?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it's your joystick thats causing the issue. The solenoids on the pump have nothing to do with the pump continuing to run.

Remove the screws from the rear of it and pull the guts out. Then give the internals a blast of compressed air. The micro switches get dirty after a few years of use and cause the switches to stick down. Usually fixes them for a few more years.

3. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I forgot to mention though that the plow does not turn left or right at all. I cleaned the switch with compressed air like you said and that didn't help. Anybody got any other ideas? I still think its the switch getting stuck though. I just dont know why it wouldn't go from side to side. If i go up and down with the joystick the up and down works. I would think if it was runing the pump it would go from side to side. Could the the solonoid on the fender have somthing to do with it? I hear somthing near it making a screaming noise while the pump is stuck on.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When it sticks and you unplug it in order to stop it...what are you unplugging? The joystick from the under dash harness...or the plow itself from the truck?

5. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

I havent tried disconnecting the switch. I have disconnected it from the front of the truck from both connectors. Will that tell me somthing if i disconnect it from the switch itself... Now it somtimes wont work in the up possition either and the pump gets stuck on as it does left and right.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You likely have more than one issue but for starters, disconnect the controller when the pump is stuck on and see if it stops. If it does, then you do have a controller issue at the least. But if it doesn't cause it to stop running, then you have a bad under hood solenoid (and also another issue that is causing it to not respond when the controller is moved.

One thing at a time.

7. 00bluegtp

00bluegtp Member

Well i disconnected the switch while it was stuck on and the pump shut off.. Soo I know thats bad. But why dont I get any ngle out of it... I really dont want to spend much money on this thing if its not going to work for me over the winter.

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I really dont think you can go any farther try to diagnose problems with out fixing/replacing the joystick. B&B is a site guru. take care of joystick first

Do you have a buddy with a fisher plow? If you do just borrow his controller and see what happens. The controllers have been known to go bad. I think they even sell rebuild kits for them. Or a new circut board. Lots of people who plow commercial keep an extra one. ( I have an extra one)

If joystick is bad. That maybe you angle issue.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then take care of the joystick first as it is in fact causing issues and then see if your angle functions return to operation. If they don't then we'll have to further diagnose to see what else is wrong. If they do, then we're done. :D

Can't expect it to have all it's functions when the means (the joystick) that you already know is defective is controlling those functions.