1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Mm Paint

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bigboss1, Nov 23, 2007.

1. bigboss1

bigboss1 Member
    from pa

hey all i was looking at the fisher paint in all the different plow supplier mags. and well its pretty pricey i mean the cheapest i found was around 25+ shipping :realmad: so i was wondering if anyone knows the color code or if it is possible to go to MAB paints or something and they can mix me up some thanks for the help
  2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

MAB makes our Athletic field paint..LOL. Oil Base Safety Yellow is good enough for me. It's not exact though.
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure if it's still around from days of old, but Rustoleum "Sunset Yellow" always had a good look to it and pretty close to Fisher yellow.

I'm always surprised at the excessive money & effort spent on brand-specific accessories when various other products function just as well. Just don't go spending plowing profits on a new Fisher splatter! There's a saying in the medical world that "you can take any tacklebox, paint it orange, and charge 3 times as much to EMS providers." I'll bet if Fisher, Western, Snoway, and Blizzard were to each endorse a line of shovels with their own colors, they could make a hefty bit more than the shovel companies themselves.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Ide buy one of those shovels in a heartbeat if Fisher did that :) lol

Big boss, take it from me, the Fisher paint isn't all that great for the price you pay, you're better off either going with something cheaper or buying a higher superior product. I redid the front of my blade with paint that costs $85/quart, this is a special super industrial mix from a local company for the snowplow application that is a perfect match to the fisher powdercoated finish (looks wise) and is EXTREMELY strong. And with that one quart, i could do a full three coats on both the front and back of the blade....that would take two quarts of the Fisher paint, so, $50 for a so-so job, or $85 for an amazing product that will last a REALLY long time.
  5. kattoom125

kattoom125 Member

i am a automobile painter i we use dupont paints. if you go to a dupont jobber in you area you can get fisher snow plow yellow in the industrial paint line IMRON it is tough as nails but can get costly
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

picked mine up at local autoparts store NAPA. they mix it ahead of time for everyone that comes in asking how to get FISHER paint.
  7. Fisher Paint

I caught my plow on a fire hydrant last year, and bent the edge of the moldboard. I straightened it and then went to the local Fisher dealer and bought a can of Fisher yellow paint, thinking that it would be a match. I primed the spot on the plow and then proceeded to spray it with the Fisher yellow. It didn't even match--not even close. It was too green. I shook the can some more---still the same color. After it dried, the color was a little closer, but it was no match--and the spray can of paint cost me $11 +tax.

8. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I've got Fisher Yellow in the Qt. size. From Fisher. It doesn't match either..Maybe if the blade was brand new.
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I painted 3 plows with IMRON it is fantastic paint. verry slipery for snow and wears well. wont chip even if you bend the plow.
  10. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I believe thats a 2 part linilar type urethene paint..other brand names using it are Awlgrip,InterThane Plus...

It is a commercial type that aircraft use etc. It is very strong..If you use the right primers with it even if it chip's or get's scratched it won't spread from there much at all..

I've used it on boats,SCUBA tanks,Signs,etc..

They don't use it because it would cost too much to do it..Between the proper primering for rust prevention,and putting on 2 good top coats to protect.
  11. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Just finished refurbishing my MM. I first had to remove all of the rust not paint as there was none left on the blade or the frame...I used a rust inhibitor by Chesterton and then used a Temken primer and to finish it off, I used Catipillar Yellow! All were for free, couldn't't see spending $73.00 per gallon for Fisher paint!!! Now the only thing I have left to do is spray on some Fluid Film :salute:
  12. bigboss1

bigboss1 Member
    from pa

hey super duty how bout a few pics of the plow seems like a good idea i may follow in the cat tracks
  13. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Will see what I can do!!!!
  14. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i dont think there's a paint that could match mine lol, its only 5 years old but it looks mostly like a pastel yellow at the moment. the paint is quite oxidized. i do have a few rust areas on the plow, and the funny thing is the snow sticks to the blade more in areas that are fine than the rusty spots. oh well, im too lazy to spray the blade, and i still turn red when i drop the blade to drag and it drops enough snow in front to make a snowman.
  15. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Just to let you all know...after some plowing in my area this past storm, the snow rolled right off of the blade. I can honestly say that I am very happy with the outcome of a little elbow grease!!! I'll post pics soon!!!!