1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM Cutting Edge ???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by gottaloveOT, Jan 6, 2009.

1. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

We seem to go through cutting edges too often on our Fishers. We had started to get custom cutting edges made that were longer so we had more wear time but it still is not the best. We were told that on these Fishers, you are supposed to let the trip edge wear and not just the blade. Does this seem right?

We have maybe an inch to inch and a half of cutting edge on the ground with a new blade but there is still 6+ inches left once it reaches the trip edge. Seems like a lot of waste to me so the idea of wearing into the trip edge seems smart but then you have to replace the trip edge and not just the cutting edge.

Ideas?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the regular HD fisher blade has the drawback of a non-flipping cutting edge, however, you are supposed to let some of the plow wear with the cutting edge, once this starts to happen more steel is on the road and your cutting edges will last longer, however, keep an eye on it so you don't wear the bottoms off of your lower spring mounts. the x-blades have center drilled cutting edges so you just flip them when worn too far.

you run the risk of too much leverage using a taller cutting edge on the HD plow and can do some damage because of it.

have you thought of running carbide edge/curb guards? they protect the plow and make the edge last longer.

3. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

That makes sense. I guess I didn't think about it that way. I didn't know Fisher had a flipable cutting edge. Like I mentioned we were getting the edges custom made. It is a lot cheaper and for us, a lot faster since the closest Fisher dealer is an hour and a half away. The curb guards might be a good idea. I'll have to look into that.

4. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

When you wear it down to the point of the trip edge it doesn't scrape too well...atleast mine didnt.