1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM blade swap ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Arc Burn, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a 97' 7.5 MM and may put it on a bigger truck this year,my question is will an 8' blade fit that mount,if i remember correctly the mounts for the cylinders are spaced differently,can anyone confirm that or give me a measurement to check off of?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

They are all the same for the HD MM series.7.5,8 or 9 ft will interchange.

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

According to the Fisher attachment kit specification sheet for MM2 models for '02 GM trucks, it showed that Fisher 7.5' RD plow use the same common attachment kit & headgear kit that 8' HD plow use. I know your is '97 but this is what I have in front of me. Go on Fisher website and look up attachment kit for '97 models and you should be able to see if it use the same attachment & headgear. I would image that it is the same but you should check to make sure.

4. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Yes you can put a 8' blade on your 97 setup. You will just need a new a-frame to go with the blade. the width of the ears on the back of the a-frame are different on a 7 1/2 and 8' blades. you will need a P/N 27597 A-frame. this allows any HD blade to be used with the RD headgear that is on your truck.

5. Arc Burn

I'm assuming the ears on the new A-frame are wider,there's no room in my headgear to go wider,you are talking about Minute Mounts right?

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Order that part number from Simmons. If he says it will fit, it will fit. Trust me.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Another option Arc,since your a welder,why not just make your existing blade wider ? It's not hard to do.

8. Arc Burn

Thats on the table also Chris,I just thought if the blade would swap out with no extra parts that i could probably snag one up fairly cheap ya know?
    I'm contomplating the issues with widening a trip edge plow,what are your guys thoughts?

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have never done it But I have seen it done. You only need to add three inches to each side so why not just get a wider edge. You will be fine for that size. Then sheet metal for the two sides. I would just get a bigger blade unless I was going a lot bigger. I knew a guy who widened a 8ft Fisher to 10ft Saved some weight and never had a problem. It was more work though. I am sure you are capable.

Another alternative would be to buy a used blade. Even an conventional mount would work (easy to find) and modify or build a new a-frame for it to fit the minute mount. I am sure you could do this as well.

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

You will need to make a complete copy of the trip edge across the extension,so the trip edge works as designed.It's more work than a full trip blade,but with your tools and skill,it should be easy :D When it's done,install a new cutting edge all the way across.I'd go 8.5 to 9 ft wide total.

11. Brian Simmons

Arc Burn,
    The spread on the ears of your a-frame should be 22 1/2" center to center. This is the common measurement for a RD 7 1/2' blades. The A-frame i am recommending is also 22 1/2" center to center but the nose of it will fit up to a HD blade(8' - 8 1/2' - 9') One of the only real differences between the RD and the HD is where the a-frame attaches to the headgear. The HD has a lower attachment point for the A-frame as it is designed for the heavier trucks which usually also sit higher (i.e. ford f-250). But in the case of the new GM vehicles they can support the weight of an HD blade but do not have the ground clearance needed (the ultimate goal is to have the a-frame a level as possible) so you need to use a RD headgear setup to gain more ground clearance and use the a-frame i mentioned above to attach a HD blade to it. If you have any other questions e-mail me and i will be glad to help.

12. Arc Burn

Simmons,thanks for the explanation,i never doubted you,was just curious is all:p

Chris,I thought we had an understanding that i didn't have time to make my own press,now i'm gonna start choppin and weldin on my plow:rolleyes: :D
    The work itself is fairly simple and if it comes down to it i'll make time i suppose!
    The plow came off my 99' Z-71 which i traded for the 00' 2500 and i'm debating on widening it for that truck or just buying a new one.The kicker is the truck was an "impulse" buy,it wasn't what i really wanted but the price was right and i'm almost posotive i'll trade it in again next spring so here i am wondering what to do,better now than november though right!

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Awww come on Arc,you gotta make time. :D It's fun hacking up your own stuff,you never know what you'll come up with.

If the deal goes through and I sell some of the equipment,I'll have a few sets of those removable extensions.I'll give you these if you want.You'll just need a better truck to push a 9.5 ft blade. ;)

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here,you can have these if it will make you happy :D

wing2.jpg

15. Arc Burn

I'll just assume you meant bigger and not better on the truck comment:mad: :D

Didn't you make those for lexan blades or am i thinking of something else?If the deal goes thru there's no sense staying all the way up there in Canada,might as well set up shop right here in New York and save me the trip:nod:

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

Bigger,better,whatever.I don't think that little GM will do it though. ;)

Those extensions above were made for my 9 ft westerns.They are removable.I also made up some for our Snoways,but they are permanent.They are bolted on.Here is a pic of the permanent ones.

bolt on wing.jpg

17. billfires

billfires PlowSite.com Veteran

simmons156, I am wondering if I can put a 7.5 Fisher in place of the 8 foot Fisher that is on a 1984 Dodge W250? This truck has the standard 3500# front axle and I was told that I need the optional 4500# front axle (which is standard on the dual wheel W350). Thanks for any info, Bill C

Last edited: Aug 16, 2003
  18. Brian Simmons

Bill,

First i need to know if it is a Minute Mount or a Conventional plow setup. It is recommended that this truck have the AHH/AHD snowplow prep package with a minimum of 3850lbs FGAWR for the W-250. Obviously it sounds as though you already have a plow on this truck so the harm is already done so as far as putting a lighter blade on only helps the situation. Let me know what the mount type is.

Simmons156

19. billfires

billfires PlowSite.com Veteran

Simmons 156, it is a conventional plow and I'm looking at purchasing this truck. I'm not sure if it has the light duty plow prep pkg or not. Thanks for your help. Bill C

20. Brian Simmons

Bill,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. You can put a 7 1\2' blade on this truck. If you buy a used 7 1\2' "L series" plow you will need an adapter a-frame P/N A5577. If you buy a new " M series" blade you will need a-frame P/N 27598. Basically these a-frames will fit a RD blade but have a HD spread of the ears on the back of the a-frame where they attach to the pushbeam on the truck. Hope this helps.

Simmons156