1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM and Front Hitch

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by provfirescott, Sep 24, 2008.

1. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 and will be adding a MM plow.
    I also need to install some type of front hitch so I can carry my cargo carrier in the front of truck when I go on the beach with my slide in camper.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

How are your fabricating skills and do you have fabricating equipment. You need to make something that comes off the truck mount. Try and copy the MM lower gear piece that attaches to the truck mount part.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I use 2x4 thick wall tube to make leaf vac mounts, winch mounts and front receivers. Cut the end of the tube like the MM headger and drill a hole for a pin. If you are just putting a light load on it though you could probably use some angle and flat stock to bolt to the pin holes and create a shelf.

4. provfirescott

from Ma

No welder here so that is the problem.
    Has anyone ever tried to mount the actual front hitch and MM brackets together?

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Even if you can't weld you could still just bolt it all together....may not be as nice as welding but if your worried about it, it would get the job done for you :)

6. provfirescott

from Ma

Someone suggested that i find a used head unit from a fisher MM and use that as starting point!

7. provfirescott

from Ma

Meant to say Lower gear unit #8561 not head unit

8. Flipper

from CT

To me, that way overkill for you project, not to mention heavy and expensive.

9. provfirescott

from Ma

So no one has ever done this?
    no pics of your setups?

10. Flipper

from CT

I am doing a leaf vac mount this weekend or early next week. I can take some pictures for you itf you want? A good base anyway.

11. provfirescott

from Ma

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  12. provfirescott

from Ma

13. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Only problem..... the install of the MM on your truck requires that you loose your front tow hooks....

14. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

15. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

just take the mounts off in the summer and put the hitch on, and then switch in the winter.

16. stillen

stillen Senior Member

i was going to do that, switch summer/winter but you have to pull the bumper and everything... its a roayl PITA..... hes better off rigging something on the current ears............

17. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You have to pull the bumber on the Dodges to install push plates? Really........that sucks. I know we did my buddies withought doin it......but that was back in 97.

18. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Here is what I built to go in the plow mount on my 2003 Ram 2500...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is built out of 3/8" thick angle and the bolt is a 1" grade 8 (found it at work LOL). The carrier was bolted to the angle. I only used it 1 time as it killed my already bad mileage and the truck ran warmer. I have the Hemi engine so your Cummins may not even care!

19. provfirescott

from Ma

I just installed the push plates and have to remove the hooks.Do the hooks hit the headgear when installed?
    Removing the push plates is too big of deal to take on and off.

20. stillen

stillen Senior Member

the tow hooks had to be removed because the push plate brackets require a few holes where the tow hooks are bolted to..... did you use all the hardware that came with the plow?