1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher MM 2, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dmax 2500hd, Dec 21, 2008.

1. dmax 2500hd

dmax 2500hd Junior Member

:dizzy:Hello all--I have a Fisher MM2,8'HD straight blade plow with InstaAct Hydraulics. Occasionally, the plow will not raise. The motor relay clicks, and the pump engages, but sounds like it is frozen. The only angle function that works is angle right, even when I hit angle left. If I drop the blade and run it into a snowbank, or I back up with the blade lowered, it will start working again. The problem was intermittent, although it is happening more often...
    Recent service and part replacement list....hoping to fix this mess...
    -Fluid changed this season...
    -New valve in position # 3 ,(figuring that valve was not shifting)
    -New wire harness from plow side to vehicle control...nothing replaced on truck side.
    -No metal shavings in pump or in valve positions #2 or #3 (used magnet to check...)
    -New coil..

Please help guys, I'm losing my mind with this...Ihave been back to have it serviced three times now, with no luck...Just a grocery list of new parts that aren't fixing the problem....
    Thanks in advance---
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

check the power plugs. any green or rotted pins? have someone run it and wiggle the wires while its running.
  3. dmax 2500hd

No green or rotted pins, all are in like new condition. Also, the poppet valve was checked and appears to be working properly. Any other suggestions or ideas? Thanks!
  4. rickdogga

rickdogga Junior Member

MM2 Squeal of Death

I've had the same problem and it's intermittent also. If I slam into a few banks occasionally it starts working again, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm having that problem right now and it's after a nice 2' of snow so perfect timing. I've put conductive grease on the plugs just in case some water got in there, but it's still not working, just a loud squeal whenever I move the controls. Any solutions to this would be appreciated.
  5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

flush and fill. sound like its iced up if it squeals loudly. pull the motor off and see if there is ice on the filter. what oil is in it?
  6. rickdogga

rickdogga Junior Member

Yep you were right - it's been in the single digits and since I don't do the yearly HF changes it's iced up. Thanks for the help!:salute:
  7. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

>and since I don't do the yearly HF changes it's iced up.

OKAY... everybody say... ya gotta do this at a minimum !
    Do it when its 70 degrees at end of summer while drinkign a cold beer or do it when its 0, -15 with the WC and you are freezing your butt off..... I choose the summer /beer method and quite enjoy it.
    Good luck
  8. searay220

searay220 Member

Ok almost the same problem as described above. Over the weekend while plowing the pump started making whining noises and shortly after that it was screaming and barely responding to up or down or even side to side. I brought it to the Fisher dealer and they changed out the fluid and bled the system. It worked for another day and started to whine again.Brought it back to the dealer and they changed the fluid again and made some adjustments. They said it was all set and I picked it up today. My problem is like all of you I need my plow to work when I need it or else I'am screwed. I am worried,very worried this will happen again. What should I do? :help:
  9. rcsullivan250

rcsullivan250 Junior Member
    from ma

Sounds kinda what happened to me. The wire that controls the plow had be pinched by plow because the wires fell to low. When this happened the plow wouldnt do anything even though the pump was running. The wires were touching inside and the plow didnt know what to do it just kept pulling to the left. I would check for a pinch wire!
  10. dmax 2500hd

The fluid was changed prior to the season, new Fisher blue hydraulic fluid was added. Fluid level is full-
    Any other ideas? It's getting expensive throwing money at new parts that don't fix the problem!