1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Minutemount Light harness Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

I bought the unit last season and have been asking checking many avenues on how I can get more light with the Fisher MM light system. Is there a light unite that I can use that will go with the harness system, that puts out brighter light.

Helpful suggestions please.

Fisher 7.5 Dodgeram 2500v-10

Thanks again Tim C

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Tim,

Not sure, I have the same plow as you, you might check to see what kind of bulb (number on bulb) you have, then check with where you bought your plow, or an autoparts store, last but not least you could even email Fisher if you don't get an answer here.

Rick

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You can put more powerful bulbs in but may be against DOT regs at that point.

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Get the light out

Your plow should have plastic lens bulbs now. If you pull them out and goto you local NAPA store you can have them cross the bulb to a BRIGHT LIGHT or ZENON bulb in glass. The glass will give a cleaner light and the BRIGHT LIGHT or ZENON will be a higher watt output than the standard bulb. CT is right that you may have a DOT reg problem but most of the bulbs available are below the regs. Those above will be listed as off road use only. When I get to the shop tommorow I'll try to get you the bulb #'s.

This works on the Western and Fisher plows ( SAME BULB ) also works on the Meyer ( non night saber ), Curtis, BOSS old style and BLIZZARD plows.

You can also change out the bulbs in the Night sabers and the NEW boss lights to get more output.

---------Another trick for Polaris 97' Indy style owners out there.

Yes I do take some time off....

Put a 215 Watt off road H4 bulb in the center and hook up the low beam to the outside bulbs. Then swap the outside bulbs to 100 Watt and you can light up the trail.

Happy plowing,
    Jerre

5. Tim C

Tim C Member

Thank you for your Suggestions. But it says Seal Beam on the lens does this make a difference. Can I replace the light with a better one.??????

Thanks Again Tim C

6. Jerre Heyer

Tim,

Sealed beam is the entire bulb. You can pull the screws out of the housing and swap the bulb out. The standard auto part # is a H6545BL for the good glass lense. Napa, Autozone or maybe kmart would have it. Look for the BL designation it is the higher output. Jerre

7. Tim C

Tim C Member

Got The Lights In

Thanks Jerre!!!!:waving: Got the lights at auto zone. Now let the snow fly.:drinkup:

Thanks again TIM C

8. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I'm wondering of the real value behind the cost of those BL Xenons as compared to the stock Halogens. I have seen first hand, the usual improved results of xenons over halogen however this chart shows the initial candlepower of the Xenons to be lower on both beams than their halogen counterpart!! The only difference is in the horizontal spread. The BL specs a horizontal beam of 60 as compared to 30 for the halogen. Don't know if that would be worse in heavy snowfall or not? Other than installing a single xenon while leaving a halogen in place, and then A/B compare them, the answer isn't clear cut. Tim I'd be interested to know of your findings between the two lamp types.
    BTW, what did Autozone charge per lamp?

9. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD!

I just surfed the web and found this astonishing bit of text:

"Note that some hucksters have begun selling halogen bulbs dipped in blue paint of one description or another, describing them as being "just like the xenon lamps in Mercedes". Nothing could be further from the truth. These hand-dipped bulbs are not approved by any regulatory agency anywhere in the world and decrease the performance of your headlamps. Wagner, Sylvania, Osram and Philips are pursuing legal action against the arketers of these phony-blue bulbs, not only because some of them have
    been using those company's trade names illegally, but also because these reputable companies understandably wish to distance themselves from this kind of Beavis-and-Butthead cheeseball product. I spoke to product line managers and lamp engineers at each of these companies, and they all were horrified at the concept of these bulbs. You're well advised to STAY A WAY. Philips is marketing a line of dichroic-blue coated bulbs in Europe

As a side note, don't confuse actual Xenon (HiD) headlamps with the halogen bulbs from Wagner that are sold under the tradename "Xenon Britelite". These Wagner capsules and sealed beam lamps are no different from regular halogen lamps."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire webpage can be viewed here so you don't think I took this out of context. Looks like I may have answered my own questions in the above posting however, I still like to hear real testimonials of any observable differences. Meantime, I will stay with those plastic halogens until proof is otherwise.

I recently read a technical article on automotive headlamp technology and it did mention that the true Xenon gas filled lamps require electrodes, not filaments, to be charged with high voltage, creating an arc between the electrodes (HID method). Much the same principle behind movie house projectors and large, trailer mounted spotlights. Lamps advertised as Xenon that still employ standard filaments is simply pressurized Halogen or Krypton gas, used to reduce deposits that accumulate over time on a filament. The filaments burn brighter and longer as a result. Sounds like the Xenon marketing ploy is duping a good many consumers, just like those "rare-earth" neodymium magnets that clip onto a fuel line and increase fuel economy by aligning random molecules to better prepare for intake and combustion. Someone's sitting on their $250,000 yacht sippin' Margeritas, and having a real hoot from marketing that idea!:mad:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2002
  10. Tim C

Tim C Member

Cost Per Light

Roger Cost per light was 13.50- 14.00. I will post as soon as I hook up and go out for first run. Believe me if I do not see :cool: I will go back to the old ones.

LET THE SNOW FLY:drinkup:

11. Jerre Heyer

Roger,

I too had looked at the specs on the lights. Noted 2 big differences when running them. The first was the wider light pattern. The second was the fact that the glass lenses gave a clearer light. Most of mine have glass BL style bulbs in them.

I was luck enough to talk to a TRUCK LITE engineer the other day and he said they are working on other options for bulbs. The real problem is size of the mounting case. To get a good spread of light and removable bulbs they need deeper cases and most guys are trying to get smaller lights on there plow's not larger.

Boss and Meyer are having some sucess with there designs but have you ever tried to clean out the inside of there lights when a bulb blows?

Good luck tim

Jerre

12. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

Jerre,
    I have a couple questions that perhaps you can answer for me:

1. I gather you have actually seen the comparative differences of the BL lamps, and their ground lens design must be the reason behind the different beam spread? That would explain the more "spot like" baem of the stock Fishers then? A better beam pattern over the stock ones would be welcomed if so!

2. I thought Fisher and others preferred the plastic lenses to reduce breakage during plowing... you know, from snow encased gravel, ice, etc. making it's way above the moldboard. Perhaps the plastic lenses yellow themselves after age as well? Today's modern lamp plastics pass light just as effectively as glass does.

I ask since I may be interterested in the BLs as well but will wait until Tim's verdict is in on them. I would think these lamps would be "the wave" that plowers would be catching on to or are they a very recent development needing more time to become known?

Thanks

13. Jerre Heyer

Roger,

The parabolic effect on the back of the housing, the finish of the inside, the glass and the refraction of the glass all lead to the effect.

Glass is HEAVIER than plastic so the whip from plowing causes more force on the housing when you RAM those snowbanks with your DODGE. Or any other truck fo that fact.

Plastic also tends to not hold H2o which has been a problem with some glass lenses. They can get a better seal with the plastic most times.

Yes I have tried both and like the wider beam of the BL bulbs as oposed to the standard bulbs glass or plastic. Jerre

14. Roger Dodger

from nw Pa.

Thanks Jerre, that leads me to become concerned with those factory Fisher light housings that have a single anchor point, especially since it's plastic. Now, toss in the added weight of a glass headlamp insert and it could make for a future recipe of stressed or cracked housings. I believe it's Meyers that is anchoring their new lamps with a wider, double point of contact to the mounting bar? Do you know of or have you had any Fisher light assy' w/ the BL glass in them return for repairs due to cracked housings? Thanks.

15. Tim C

Tim C Member

Fisher MM Light Update

It is going to work just fine. They are Bright and have a wider angel output. Wagner BL are a good upgrade for the money...15$ change auto zone.

Thanks again guys for your input!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim C:drinkup: LET IT SNOW

16. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Jerre,
    What lamp do you change the new Boss lights too?