1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Minute Mount works only when motor is tapped on...what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SDplower, Jan 16, 2015.

1. SDplower

SDplower Junior Member

Hey guys...I've been on here before for advice and that got me up and running back in the fall. However...I'm in Syracuse and we have some snow...not alot but some. I was cleaning out my driveway when the plow started acting up...dropped it then it wouldn't come back up...no left or right. I got out tapped on the motor with a hammer...it came up...slowly...then stopped. I dropped it again...went to raise it...nothing. I hear the solenoid clicking like it's supposed to. So...it'll move...only when I tap on the motor itself. I checked fluid...it's topped off. What could I check for? Thanks so much!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Time for a new motor.

3. kimber750

Also you may want to edit your post before the anti-hammer guys show up. Just say you tapped on it with a twinkie or something so they don't get all worked up. :laughing:

4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

omg why are you hitting that motor for .... Thats not good man you broke it.:rolleyes:

5. SDplower

SDplower Junior Member

Thanks Kimber...I did mention I "tapped" it right...I didn't haul off and hit with all I got! Just trying to get to the bottom of the issue that's all...before the next snowfall.

6. kimber750

Some here suggest anytime you get a hammer anywhere near a motor the magnets explode, hell freezes over and Obama will be elected to a third term. Me, I didn't spend hundreds of $ on hammers not to use them. :laughing:

But yes, most likely motor is about shot and is due to be replaced.

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

If you cant fix it with a hammer its an electrical problem

8. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

Sounds like it's time for a new motor

9. SDplower

SDplower Junior Member

Hey guys...thanks again!! I picked up a new motor at the local Fisher dealer...$140...and I'm back in business. That's why I come here for help!! I could of wasted a ton of time on other troubleshooting...but thanks to you...I didn't have to.Thumbs Up

10. kimber750

Good to hear. Thumbs Up If you are feeling frisky you may be able to clean up the commutator and brushes then keep the old motor as a spare.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No, the magnets are gunna be to loose. Not worth it IMO......

12. Dustin-M

Dustin-M Junior Member

I would invest in a new motor. My Boss V had a worn motor that would take ages to go up/down/left/right. Once the motor was replaced, the plow worked like new. It should cost you around $200 installed.