1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Minute Mount will not Float

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by corey_yvette, Dec 13, 2006.

1. corey_yvette

corey_yvette Junior Member

Hi,

I have a Fisher Minute Mount that won't float. When I press 'lower' on the joystick it will not drop to the ground. I have to hold the stick down until the plow hits the ground. and then, even if I hold the stick down, it won't float. I'm also not able to push the ram down when the plow is dropped to the ground. Don't know if these problems are related.

Does anyone know why I can't get the plow to float?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Is there a light that indicates it's in "Float Mode"? If so, does it come on? Do you hold it for a couple seconds after it is on the ground? Then you leave it on while trying to push it down. Next, check that the wiring harness is securely connected. Inspect all the pins for any that are bent or damaged.

I had a new MM that didn't want to go into float sometimes. I'd have to hold the toggle down again after I tried pushing the triangle and it didn't want to budge.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Is that indicator light only on the fishstick?? i only know of a power light on the joystick controller.

4. corey_yvette

Hi,

There is only the power light on the controller.

When I push down on the joystick the light goes out.

I can hold the stick down for 2 mintues and nothing changes.

Could it be something in the controlelr box?

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have a "float" light on my Fishtik and thought I remembered having it on the toggle switch, too. But it's been almost a year ago I sold it, so maybe I'm mistaken.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The joystick (the OLD way, before the invention of the Fish-stick) has no float button.
    When you press down it enters float until it recieves another command (until the switch is closed for another circuit). Yes, that is the same problem why you can;t push down the lift arm- no float means no down.

Check the joystick contacts inside- make sure they are not interfering with each other. Each direction should be distinct.

There's no fancy electronics- you're simply closing switches in the box with the joystick handle, so the wires coming our "could" be jumpered (carefully) to deturmine if it's the joystick or something else.
    since you have down when you're holding the stick down, I would investigate the float relay.

7. nichols

nichols Member

Mine does that every so often, too, right after I've put the plow on. If I wiggle the plug on the grille of the truck, it usually clears things up, and will be fine afterwards. Give that a shot before you go crazy troubleshooting. :)

8. corey_yvette

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

I wiggeled the plug, cleaned it and plugged it back in and I still have the same problem.

The controll says float below lower. I will see if there are any cross in the wiring.

Thanks,

CR

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you have to hold the stick down to float I suspect it's controler related, but you mayhave a broken wire in the harness. It's common on the plow side of the plugs very close to the connector. Fisher sells replacement pigtailed connectors IF you determine that's the cause.

10. corey_yvette

Thanks,

I will look into that.

CR

11. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

My fisher guy said they don't sell the pigtails any more. I replaced mine with another 6way plug just last night because I had a pulled out wire on the truck side right at the connector.

Edit, if you do replace the connector I recommend leaving an 1/8th of an inch of the colors showing on the wires on both sides of the connector. The colors DO NOT match up directly so you have to be very careful when doing repairs.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006