1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Minute Mount w/frozen hydraulics

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rjstanly, Jan 2, 2010.

1. rjstanly

rjstanly Junior Member

I have a Fisher Minute Mount. The first snow we had I plowed in temps above 35 and everything worked well. A week later, temps dropped here to 5. When I tried to move the plow, it did pick up about a foot and the side-to-side did work, but very slowly. I figured the fluid had water in it.Its happened before and the truck sits outdoors. I used a kerosene space heater to warm the unit up on the truck and the unit then worked fine, confirming my water theory. However, the motor made a " clicking" noise that I never heard before even though it was a replacement unit used one season. The clicking noise sounds like a philips head drill slipping against a screw that stops turning. I put new fluid in, finished the day and parked. A week later, cold weather and more snow and the same thing again; no movement and a very loud clicking noise from the motor.
    I took the assembly off the plow and stuck it next to the furnace to warm it up. Reinstalled it and the motor hummed but no lift or side movement. I purchased a new pump and fluids, replaced them and again, no lift or side movement. The motor doesn't make the clicking noise anymore. I thought maybe the pump had sheared a tooth or something like that. The motor responds to commands, you can see the motor flex and it pulls the engine down, its just the hydraulics aren't responding.
    Did I reinstall the solenoid wires wrong?? I thought I put them back proper and even tried switching them around in case I didn't.
    I asked my Fisher dealer and he would n't help unless I brought it in (even though I paid retail for his pump the day before) but did offer that it was rare the hydraulic manifold would fail.

HELP!

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

maybe check to see if the motor is flush with the manifold... The wiring diagram (schematic) for the cartidges are on the inside back of the cover.. Not sure if you took them off.. Did you check the obvious.. Battery conections Ground wires? Maybe see if the solenoid is melted... When you installed the motor back on after doing the pump did the Armeture fall enough to have a brush hang up? Did you replace the Bushing?? Hate to say it but sounds like a bad motor.. Or maybe the wires are back wards.. make sure + is on + and all the neg wires are clean and mounted tight..
    A manifold failure is very rare.. Never seen one fail.. do to just use...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. rjstanly

rjstanly Junior Member

Thanks for reading. What has me stumped is the motor is powering up. The connections back to the truck are all good. When I hit the switch, the motor hums, the truck engine draws down from the voltage drop but there is no hydraulic action on the plow. When i installed the new motor, I made sure it snapped down in for a good seat. Thanks for all your ideas.

4. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

would not be the pickup tube would it? kinda sounds familiar to what i just went through

5. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

+1 on the tube except the (grinding noise and The draw on the truck) It would barely draw at all if there was no presure.. A quick way to check the pick up tube is to stick it through the fill plug.. If ya can't feel it it will be in the bottom of the tank..A quick simple fix if thats the case.. But he just replaced the pump so more than likely he put the tube holder back on??.. Did you adjust any of the pressure relief valves??.. Or a silly question but did you take out the plug on the pump before installing it? (sometimes they have them sometimes they don't but they are normally yellow.. but I have seen clear ones too...) that would be a clasic woops..LOL I only laugh because I have done similar mistakes..(rushing)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010