1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Minute Mount users.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NYRookie, Dec 9, 2003.

1. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

This may be old news to you old timers but bear with me.
    At the end of last year I was having a tough time removing my MM2. It would take 2 guys and a pipe. Thinking I had bent something pushing some serious snow, I had my dealer take a look this year when I brought it in to be adjusted. Well there was nothing bent. It was just that the pins and holes in the mount were rusted pretty good. They wired wheeled all the rusted parts and never-seized them. Guess what? Works like the day I bought it. I usually wash it after each storm but, we did not get above freezing the whole month of January so I let it go. I went and bought a can of never-seize and you can bet she'll be well lubed this year. Heck it only cost me $100 for that little lesson.:eek:

2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Be sure to keep the cam guides well lubed. This will help greatly. The other thing to check is to be sure that roll pin that the guides slide on is not digging into the cam guides. This will make removal very difficult.

3. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

Just don't do what I did. I brought my brand new fisher minute mount 2 home last week and after I disconnected it, I was backing up my truck and the air dam was caught on the plow frame so I thought I could lower the jack to the next notch to give me some space. Well the jack went all the way in and the plow frame went to the ground. I am going to have a fun time lining everything up the next time I try to connect to the truck.

4. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I've got the Western UltraMount. Just installed it last week.

As I put the plow frame together I loaded every hole that a pin went into with synthetic axle grease.

I also dumped all the hardware into a pan of diesel fuel before installing.

Little petroleum goes a long way.

5. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

I have done the exact same thing. Man those things are heavy to lift by yourself with one hand (and leg for that matter) while trying to adjust the stand with the other. Damn near gave myself a hernia.

6. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

Hi Mac3897;

Are you saying you did the same thing as me? Any suggestions on how I get the plow frame to line up and get the proper height when I reconnect?
    I have a silverado too. Just a reg cab though.

Thanks alot

7. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

Cobol Dude
    Yup did the same thing tried to adjust the jack stand and the f**ing thing when right to the floor. It took a lot of work fight with it so I could put the pin back in the jackstand at the right height.

What I ended up doing was to lift the horizontal bar piece( the piece that was now on the floor) up and rested it on my leg while I carefully put the pin pack in the jack stand at roughly the middle hole. Of course it wouldn't line up right so I had to get it close enough to put a piece of wood under the foot on the stand to line it up as close as possible to the truck. What a PITA!!!

I eventually was able to get it back in all the way.

Good luck :)
    MAC

8. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I had the same problem with my new MM2, found it virtually impossible to remove those damn pins when trying to remove it. Had to move the entire frame with my shoulder because I'm only 5'2" and a woman to boot! This storm it went on and off real easy. I put some lithium grease on the pins, I think that helped. What are the cam glides?

9. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

Mac3897;

Thankyou very much for your reply. I will try to get right this weekend.

Take care

10. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

I am fortunate in the fact that I get to drop my Fisher MM2 7.5 in a heated garage:) . I dropped mine the first time i took it off!!:realmad: . My own stupidity, i forgot to lower the jack first:eek:
    One thing i have found since then is that after I drop the plow the frame raises a little, so it didn't line up right when trying to re install it. I found that by tapping the jack with my foot i can move the plow up or down just enough to make it go right on. And I thought the snowblower was bad!!!

11. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Not to brag but the Western UltraMount won't allow that to happen. The feet are part of the hook mechanism. You cannot remove the plow without first having the feet on the ground. Works pretty slick. It also has a floating mount that helps align when mounting and helps the plow follow the lay of the road.

12. pollini

pollini Junior Member
    from MA

Hoot and others,

My MM2 will not let you relese the pins w/o lowering the jack either.

On my MM2 the lever that releses the pins is "blocked" by the lever that releases the jack. So if you do not release the jack you can not relese the pins. But once it's on the groud you could "by accident" release the jack.

Cobol Dude: maybe you could use a car jack to get the plow frame back to the correct hight then reset the plow jack???

13. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

14. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

I just ordered a Fisher 9' MC series plow for my F550. I believe that it still uses the MM1 system, has anyone heard if it will use the MM2 anytime soon? I also got the rubber snowflap and the Fishstik contoller. How do you guys with the Fishstik like it compared to the joystick? I though I would try something new and go with the handheld.
    Johnno

15. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

The handheld is great, you have much more mobility with it right in your hand.

16. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I have the fishstick but haven't mounted the receptacle for the control yet.

I'm right handed. What has everyone found to be the best way to handle the controller?

17. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

Thanks for the idea Pollini. I like to think I am strong but I would like to have kids someday and lifting the plow myself might change that dream.