1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Minute Mount Trip Spring Issue.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by whitelite, Oct 31, 2009.

1. whitelite

whitelite Member

Have a 7 foot Fisher Minute Mount and am having "heart burn" :gunsfiring:over my trip springs. They will trip at just about anything and since I plow gravel and dirt county driveways I'm gouging and getting complaints.

Need help. :help: I looked for adjustment on the springs but it doesn't look like they have any. It's a 3 spring set up. Do they make heavy duty replacement springs, or is there some type of adjustment I can make?:confused:

Thanks,

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Time for new springs

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

No adjustment on the springs, sounds like they just need to be replaced.

One tip if your replacing them yourself, get the spring replacement tool also!

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

I second that, for $25 it's well worth it!

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Third that! Definitely the safest way to go...and makes the job very easy

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Since We never use them, but would putting shoes on for the gravel drives help? Unless you already run them.

7. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

It may not be the springs at all.... More than likely it is the hole you have the a frame of the plow on... the lower the hole the more angle of attack... the higher the less angle... (better for gravel and crappy parking lots).. yes ya leave a nice snow pack but the major snow it moved...

8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well the angle being the problem might be correct, but the position is based on your truck's height, you want the a-frame parallel to the ground. I'd still lean towards shoes on/adjusted for alot of gravel plowing.

9. DHDB

DHDB Member

IMO when plowing gravel driveways, you want the plow about 1 1/2 - 2 " off the ground. Drop the plow and then start picking it up until front end of truck starts to dip. In the beginning of the winter (ground is still warm) it is better to remove the bulk of the snow and leave 1-2" of snow on the driveway. In the middle of the winter (ground is frozen) you can drop the plow and just go. In the spring (ground is warm and thawing) go back to leaving 1-2" snow. Some people may ***** about leaving snow but the alternative is digging up and causing horizontal cuts in the driveway. If they continue to ***** then they should pave their driveway. IMO.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

As mentioned, make sure your a frame is parallel to the ground first. What do you have this mounted on? Any lift/big tires? The plowing advice for gravel is good also. Need to keep the blade up a bit till the gravel freezes.

Plow shoes dig into unfrozen gravel too.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

This is a MM1 right? Throw a pick up of the backside of the plow.

12. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

What is your plows angle when it plows? parallel to frame?

13. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks for the replies!
    I looked at the angle and it's seems that maybe it's 2-3 inches off parallel, so going to get that fixed. Plow is on a Ram 2500 Diesel. I've got heavy duty springs on the front and have been plowing this way for 6 years. Springs triped before but not like it has been last season and this one----------so I think new springs are in mix too.

Thanks again.:salute:

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You've got a seven foot blade on a Cummins?

15. whitelite

whitelite Member

Yep. 7 foot on a cummins.:D Driveways around here are very tight. I know it can handle a lot more but most of the plowing we do is winding tree lined driveways. Fact is that I'm looking for a smaller 4x4 such as a Jeep or Explorer sport to do these--got a 6 1/2 foot Meyer in the garage waiting for the right vehicle to come along.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How did you get a 7 foot on your truck? 1/2 ton and up push plates are 29 1/8" spaced, for 7.5' and bigger plows. 7 foot and smaller are 25 1/8" spaced for compact/mid size trucks.

17. whitelite

whitelite Member

I guess that's a good question. I bought the plow new from KOIS Brothers in Denver and they installed it on a 1994 Dodge 2500 reg cab pickup (gas) that I had. I sold the truck and had a local welder fit it to my1998 Dodge 2500 diesel. This truck has a massive front bumper and I didn't want to go back to a stock "tin foil" type bumper----------so whatever the dimensions were the welder must have adjusted it to fit.---------I don't remember KOIS BROTHERS having a problem when they put it on my other 3/4 ton truck. I waited in the lobby for 3 or so hours as they installed it--no welding was done. Interesting :rolleyes: