1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher minute mount reservoir leaking.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FknBoss, Jan 25, 2015.

1. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

I bought a cummins and it came with a plow. This is the first I'm using it. When I got it the reservoir was leaking so I pulled it off cleaned it and replaced the original and filter. Went to go use it yesterday and it still leaks. It's leaking where the black can slips on to the aluminum part with the valves in it. The reservoir isn't pitted or damaged at all. It's in good shape. Any ideas? Since I replaced the original the leak isn't as bad but about an hour it was empty. Think maybe silicone or something.

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'm not familiar with it, but my first thought is that maybe a seal or o ring is damaged or missing? Might be quicker and easier to just stop in and have a dealer look at it if you have one nearby.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

If it's truly empty after one hour of use, as you state, then you've got something else going on. There is an O-ring which fits in a groove around the bottom of the valve bock, this is what seals the reservoir. I would check the O-ring for damage, but also check to make sure there isn't an issue with your vent... blocked, plugged, etc. This could cause excess pressure in the reservoir. I would also check for other leaks above the reservoir, possibly from the cartridge valves, which may appear to be coming from the reservoir O-ring. I know you stated that the reservoir is clean, but they're famous for rusting through... no possibility that you've got a small pinhole from rust somewhere?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is the lip of the reservoir straight and true?
    Was it bulging at all by the sealing surfaces?
    Did you use an o.e oring?
    How much fluid are you putting in?

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going with its no on right and you didn't replace the o-ring

[​IMG]

6. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

Thanks for the replies guys.
    1. I don't want to take to the dealer. The only one in a reasonable distance is stork and they are not the best to do business with.

2. The reservoir is just about and and yes I just replaced the oring I used rubber grease when putting it on. Popped right on no issues and I tighten it down.

3. The vent is a good idea I will check that make sure it's clear. That's what I was thinking maybe I'm getting pressure building up.

4. Yes I only use o.e parts on no matter what I'm working on.

5. I'm filling it till it runs out of the fill hole.

Now I just refilled it and what I'm noticing it's leaking at 12 and 6. 12 being the center of the reservoir closest to the trucks grille.

Other than this issue plow work flawless no issues. No other leaks beside the reservoir.

7. cubicinches

You're filling it through the 3/8" NPT fill hole in the side of the reservoir, right?

8. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

The square fill plug that is on a 45. Has a sticker that says fill here.

9. dieselss

What did the manifold look like? New shiny aluminum, or dusty type aluminum?

10. cubicinches

I've seen guys mistakenly fill them through the vent, and it winds up way over full if you do that. Not sure how it could be leaking just as you're filling it. When it's at the correct level, the fluid is well below the O-ring.

11. cubicinches

Ok. That's correct.

12. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

The aluminum looked fine. Not oxidized or anything

13. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

Right now it's leaking I'm not even using it. I have it hanging on the chain.no pressure on the cylinders. I have pics I'm going to post in a few

14. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

15. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

I just took off the vent popped it apart cleaned it up. Looks fine it wasnt dirty at all. Even with the vent off it was leaking.

16. cubicinches

Fluid shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the reservoir when it's filled to the proper level. I'd pull it back off and have a good look at what's going on. Something is fishy there.

17. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

I'll pull the reservoir tomorrow at work

18. dieselss

Dang,, that's a good ole leak.
    Yea something ain't quite right there.

19. dieselss

Not sure if you had this, but here's a breakdown of it.

Screenshot_2015-01-25-16-19-05.jpg

20. FknBoss

FknBoss Junior Member
    from SEPA

Thanks alot. Greatly appreciated