1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Minute Mount Issue/Spreader ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonplow, Oct 24, 2003.

1. jonplow

jonplow Junior Member
    from NH

I know there is a thread going with Fisher but it looked a little busy for a first time post. Here's the issue and hoping someone can help. I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 with an 8' MM plow. When I first hook up the plow and try to angle either left or right it will go up, after a few minutes of plowing the angle function works fine.
    The second question was looking for a good tailgate spreader for a salt/sand mix.
    Thanks so much for the replies!

2. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

jonplow

check your connectors to your sol pack.
    then look real hard at the box ,under the hood,connectors.
    Mine would not go up. I tightened all the connectors in the isolation box and replaced the sol connector. Worked for me.

3. jonplow

jonplow Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the advice I will check them.

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not an expert at dialoguing plow problems but my guess would be that the fluid is really thick, almost frozen in angle cylinders, and then after using the plow for a few minutes, the fluid warm up a bit and start to flow better. But I think that there is something else that is keeping it from working in the first place.

Fisher do make two stages spreaders that will spread salt and sand. Their unit is called SpeedCaster 2.

5. jonplow

jonplow Junior Member
    from NH

wxmn6,
    Replaced hydraulic fluid and as far as temp. related experienced problem the other day when it was 60 degrees. Thanks for the info on the spreader, I know of the Speedcaster but looking for alternate choice.
    jonplow

6. jonplow

jonplow Junior Member
    from NH

Mike,
    What is the "sol" pack that you are referring to. I have checked all the connectors and was told to try the electrical conducting (dilectic ? ) grease. I have not tried as of yet. Thought I would ask form the professional first.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Jon
    Look in the ice control section on this site and read about the airflow mss.
    Dino

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Starting with the basics here. Take apart & thoroughly clean all of the electric connections & use the dialectic grease when you re-connect them. The solenoids are what activate the hydraulic valves to open & close them. Some of the wires in your plow system are connected to the solenoids on the valve unit. When the solenoids get current they create a magnetism that pulls the particular valve open to perform a function. You can get the service manual for your plow from any local plow dealer or any of the internet catalog plow parts suppliers. That will have all kinds of great maintenance & operating info, plus a trouble shooting guide to diagnose these types of problems for you.

As far as the spreader question, do a search in that forum as Dino suggested, then post any further questions there.

Good luck.

9. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Thanks BRL

Saved me all that typing to jonplow. :drinkup:

10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The valves BRL mentioned can actually stick or hang up and free themselves up sometimes by bouncing the plow around,the biggest cause of this is contamination in your hydraulic pack,it would only take little metal shavings to make a valve stick.Pull the electric motor off the top of your pump housing and drain the fluid and look around in there for little things that shouldn't be floating in there!
    Check out the Fisher website and read the mechanics guide they have,good info there.

11. jonplow

jonplow Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks so much for the many responses...this is a great tool to use for issues like this.

12. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

jonplow.... did you look into the Snowex 1875 sand pro spreader? around the same price of the Fisher / Western 2 stage units. Also the Snowex uses no belts or conveyor chains in their spreaders. And the 5 yr warranty would be a good thing , that is if you are looking for a tailgate spreader.

13. jonplow

jonplow Junior Member
    from NH

Didn't look into that one yet but we'll check it out, Thanks.

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If you want to spread bulk mix, you will need a two stage unit. A single stage wount work with wet or damp mix. If you buy a single stage make sure you get a vibrator kit as well.
    Dino

15. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Jonplow,
    I had the exact same problem on the exact same truck. My problem had to do with the mounting of the connector on the truck that controls the plow (it has 3 connectors). Apparently. installers were told to tie wrap this too tight to the grille and too close to the end of the connector, which then caused the wires to fatique and break, since there was no slack in the wire to compensate for movement. A little wiggle and it works again. If that is it, you'll need a connector on the truck side (hard to repair if the break is next to the plug), $39 from a dealer. You will notice on newer install they leave the plugs dangling about 18" before the wire is tie wrapped to the grille.

Hope that solves it for you!