1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Min mounts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Mar 24, 2001.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

A freind of mine had his fisher min mount snap in too where the frame comes to a point he wasn't abusing it. has any one else had this type of problem with them breaking like that?
  2. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

The A frame?, I've never had a problem like that. I would assume the A frame is the same as old conventional style, in wich case I have been using them for 5 years now, the 2 older ones were both bought used. I never had this problem. My Fishers have only broke down once in 5 years, & that was a solinoid. Friend have Westerns/Meyers, seen to break down at least once per season. My brothers a welder, all the plows that come in to their shop are either Meyer/Western, he looked at one guy and told him he should have bought a Fisher. These plows are very reliable, maybe he got a bad one?
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hi cat - 2 questions: Is this a newer or older unit, and did your friend buy it second hand?

I guess I should ask a 3'rd question: What constitutes "abuse"? I'm NOT picking anyone apart here, and you know how your friend plows better than I do. But plows were designed mostly for straight pushing, and stacking puts stress on them at an angle (A-frame not level) and can also cause twisting force as well - actually, any time one side of the blade is higher than the other it puts a twist on the A-frame. They weren't really designed for this.

A friend of mine recently brought me his 7.5 Western with the A-frame in 2 pieces. He had been widening his farm lane (500') using one side of the blade to trim the banks back - putting a lot of uneven load on the A-frame and some twisting motion as well. Stacking the piles also put a lot of stress on things. It finally died when he caught a frozen bank while lining up for another pass - mucho twist. I didn't even bother trying to fix it - built a new one from scratch. Was easier.

Crane booms are another good example - they'll pick lots in the manner they were designed for (hoist line plumb) but don't side load them!
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The unit was 5 years old and he prety good at plowing to put alot of undo stress on the plow.It's a 9' blade on a '95chevy dump He also told me that the ears came loose too plus all of the paint has come off in sheets which makes it look worse than it is.
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like it sees a lot of use then, when you say the ears came loose do you mean the holes became worn? Another thought comes to mind, and that is how much travel time does the plow get? If it's on the road a fair bit and the roads are rough, that 9' blade is going to put a lot of load on the A-frame & mounts even when not plowing.
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It does get a lot of use he does a few big apt complexes plus sanding 20 miles up the road.
  7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll go out on a limb here then & say that this may have been 5 years of steady use catching up at once. By this I mean that the accumulated wear & tear of regular plowing/travel finally resulted in the failure you mentioned.

I do quite a bit of work for some of the aggregate companies in the area over the winter when they overhaul the equipment (loaders, crushers, screening plants etc) and a lot of it consists of repairing cracks and building up worn areas. The cracks & worn areas haven't caused a failure yet, but if left unrepaired they eventually would.
  8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

The only thing I have seen brake on fishers is the A frame (they twist)
  9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point Scott - no plow was really designed to handle twisting force.

Michael, I see the same thing at my work too - very few Fishers ever come in the door. To keep from starting another round of brand-bashing though, I should point out that here I don't see many Fisher plows period. I'm not certain if that's a result of dealer support/lack of or price.
  10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

This is what they are designed to do. The Fishers do not have any type of soft pin or bolt to break, its the A frame which will bend when excessive stress is encountered.

Look at it this way, other brands would snap and leave you hanging, while the Fisher a-frame will bend and give you another chance lol...
  11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I never seen a fisher bend or break anything-until this week-I seen one at the dealer with the A frame twisted a bit,guy slid into a parked car at about 30 mph-that'll do it-you should see the car LOL.
  12. site

site Member

Fisher A frames develop a bow after enough hard use. They will continue to work when they are bowed, but they will wear out other parts like cylinders and pumps. You should check them by putting a straightedge from front to back on the a frame and replace them when they get too bad.