1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Min mount II

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Aug 16, 2001.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I saw and ad on brake and clutch in salem ,ma for a comming soon min. mount II from fisher plows.Does any one know what it is?

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know for certain, but I would think it's similar to the new western mounting system . (same company)

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with JD Plower, it'll probably be like Westerns new Ultra-Mount system. If you have a fast internet connection, go to www.westernplows.com and look at the video they have demonstrating the new set-up.

-Tim

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry, I'm looking at that trunion and all I keep hearing in my head is, "You ARE the weakest link, goodbye".

5. JD PLOWER

I have to agree. I don't like the removable mounts on the truck itself. Those bolts will eventually warp or "oval" the holes they are in . However like anything, time will tell if the extra ground clearance is worth it .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2001
  6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I was starting to be able to stand the min mount system, now that we have enough pavement at the shop to park plows on.

However If it is like the western system, I am out on the new design.

Geoff

7. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

From that video, it looks similar to the Curtis 'Hitch-n-Run' design. (Tongue goes into the truck and two 'hooks' grab onto a bar mounted on the truck) I use the Curtis and like it, but we don't get large snowfalls and I only do residential accounts so I'm not worried about the abuse of large commercial lots in heavy snowfall. If I were, I think I would look elsewhere. Too bad really, my previous truck had a Western Pro plow on it thought it was a good unit, just didn't like the low clearance of the uni-mount which is why I didn't get a western on the new truck.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have both new styles of mounts and both look up to the challenge. There are only so many ways to quick attach a plow to a truck, so sooner or later companies will start to copy another.
    That trunion is quite beefy, I would be surprised if that failed.
    Dino

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I say the western site kinda reminded me of a commercial plow set up with the pivet point.As far as the hitch part have to really see it up close kinda looks week less detachable parts the better I would think. Fisher should put the pivet point, and some of ther heavy plow features on the there 8 & 9 ft plows and I think that they would have a winner.

10. JD PLOWER

CAT you got that right (about the less parts the better) . In many ways I wish Fisher made the MM as beefy as the old truck mount. But as I said, maybe in 5 or 6 years it will hold up as well as the current MM.

11. westernwelder

westernwelder Junior Member

the minute mount is fishers new mount but westerns is alot better it mounts so easy even on uneven surfaces.
    for those who are not aware fisher is westerns sister company.
    although they do compete they are one.
    western just started putting a heavier chip proof paint you wont see no any more rusted western plows but still will last forever.
    plus welds will be alot better. if there is anything you would like to see changed on western plows i would like to hear about it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2001
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Are you a designer for Western?

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Western welder,Im buying an 8.5 ft or 9 ft western soon,with the new mount.When did they start the paint changes?They want to sell me the one in the showrrom,its been there since june,is it the updated one?I have a 7.5 pro on my GMC,its a 97 or 98 model,it flaked and peeled,looks terrible now,you'd swear it was 20 yrs old by looking at it.

14. SlimJim Z71

I'm just takin a shot in the dark here... but my guess would be he's a welder. Again... just a guess. LOL

-Tim

Last edited: Aug 19, 2001
  15. Mick

from Maine

Tim, probably a pretty good guess. I was just wanting to make sure.

16. SlimJim Z71

I apologize... I just can't seem to help with the sarcasim today. Even my wife is giving me dirty looks... LOL.

-Tim

17. Mick

from Maine

No problem, Tim. I really didn't take your reply as sarcasm. However, when I went back and read my post, I realized it could be read as sarcasm. I didn't mean it that way, either.

18. westernwelder

western plow paint

the blades that have new paint started this summer dont know exact date but will know tomorrow for ya. but i do know that
    the blades will have a decal on them. it has a football player
    in black red and white arms flexed as if he were about to take someone out and on the bottom it say PRO-GAURD a baked on finish that makes paint obsolete. and will maybe have the 50 year
    anniversery sticker on it. some plows have 2 coats not many also if you look on the passangers side of the plow look for a weld tack on the end rib bottom this is a mark so i know who made it . and yes i am a welder i do have alot of fabrication expertise in the metal fab.
    Also i do not represent western products in anyway i am just a welder with knowledge of my trade and information that i have access to. thanks i will get back to you with the date that first one went out the door. i know it was just warming up when we started thoough. and just supplying info that will help you in anyway to buy westerns plow I weld them like they are going on my truck.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2001
  19. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

westerns been using that decal for many years, and those are the plows peeling like crazy.
    The bottom line with the whole paint thing is lack of adhesion between the powder coat and metal. The old primer coat and top coat systems worked alot better.
    Dino

20. westernwelder

WELL GEE i havent seen any on the plows for sometime we just brought them out from storage then . this is a new paint line with new finish. so lets wait and see. time will only tell for those who feel the way you do.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2001