1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher - Low Pressure, Plow will not lift.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JeepNut, Jan 29, 2005.

1. JeepNut

JeepNut Junior Member

This is my first post on the site. I stumbled upon it a couple of weeks ago and found it very helpful. I have a F250 with 8' fisher that I use to do residential plowing. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a used 6.5' Fisher and put it on my 91 Cherokee to use as a backup. After I installed it and tested it around my yard, it seemed to work just fine. During the last storm (50 CM), I had another guy driving it and after a couple of hours use, it would not raise the blade. It starts to raise it but when the weight comes on it, it stops. It will angle slowly. I put a guage on it today and appears to be only putting out about 500psi. It is electric/hydrolic. I added some Fisher hydrolic fluid before the storm. I just downloaded the manual from the net and it said to use auto trans fluid. The existing fluid appeared to by Hydrolic and not red like trans fluid. The electric motor seems to work fine. I will pull the motor tomorrow to see if I notice anything. It is not frozen as I keep it in a heated garage.

Has anyone got any ideas? Should I be using hyd fluid or ATF?

Thanks for now.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Mine did the same thing last week. It was empty so we added some fisher oil. We ran the cylinders back and forth for about 10 minutes. Had alot of air come out when we cracked the fill plug. Had to add some more later, it seems there was still an air bubble in there. Make sure it's bled well.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Hyd or ATF is fine to use. Check all of your connections at the battery and at the motor, make sure they are clean and tight. Low fluid will not make it slow down with use. If you have a hyd pressure gauge, check to see what the pump is putting out, your pump relief may be low.
  4. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

If the motor runs well and the plow raises when it is cold and slows when when hot the pump might be worn and lets the warm oil bypass internally and will not build pressure.
    I have a rebuilt Webster pump from a fisher for sale if you need one.
  5. JeepNut

JeepNut Junior Member

Thanks Guys. I got a new pump today and installed it tonight. Fixed the problem. Much faster now. Funny for the pump to go bad that fast. Looks like I am back in business.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Glad you fixed it- the pump may not have gone bad that fast- remember there are tons of ways to "fix" things temporatily just long enough to sell something- like useing STP Oil treatment instead of oil to stop the smoking of a car that has bad valve guide seals or worn rings.

could also have been, as was mentioned, worn enough that is only really malfunctioned when hot.