1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Light Problems Still!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DeereFarmer, Feb 11, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Well, still struggling with this one. Not gonna get them fixed for this one, but I'll fix them after the storm. Now to the problem: I have a Fisher MM1 with the Grote headlights. I replaced the four turn signal bulbs a month back and must have put in the wrong ones because all four burned out (all four were blackened). I went out and got the right ones, put them in and all four still don't work. Checked the plugs and re contact greased the pins and everything looks good, but just don't work. I am at a loss!:cry:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Dont the grote lights only have 4 wires per side at the plug?

If so, do you have the turn/markers grounded?

3. DeereFarmer

I am pretty sure they do and that I do have them grounded, but I'll double check.

4. DeereFarmer

I checked and everything is grounded on both sides!

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I had the same problem on two MM1s, on two different trucks. Here's what I found...I went through all of the connections, grounds, bulbs etc, again. I found that I was getting voltage to the isolation module, but no voltage coming out of it. So I jumped the brown wire (parking lamps) from the cluster where it enters the isolation module, directly to the cluster where it exits the isolation module.

This fixed the problem and the parking and turn signal lamps work again.

6. DeereFarmer

I'll give that a try nect time I hook it up. I was looking at other trucks last weekend while I was plowing at night and noticed that about 40% of the Fisher MM1s had the same problem!

7. plowed

plowed Senior Member

You're right. I've noticed the same thing, not just on Fords like mine, but all trucks.

8. DeereFarmer

I know. I saw it on Dodges, Fords, Chevys, and a GMC!

9. Crash935

Are you using relays in the harness to switch from truck to plow lights. If so you need to have power on leg 86 on the relay which is usally picked up from the marker light.

10. DeereFarmer

Nope, no relays, no switches.

11. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Not sure if this is been said, but there is and in line fuse(10 amp?). Mine is located around my master cyclinder! Found that to be blown, and it took me a little while to find it.

12. DeereFarmer

That might be the problem as well. I might have blown the fuse when I put the wrong bulbs in!:gunsfiring:

13. DeereFarmer

I took a real quick look at the plow tonight and di not find any inline fuse (yet and it was dark in the garage). Is this one of the long fuses (sorry, I am NOT electrically inclined!)? I looked under the hood near the ISO module and noticed three or four thin cylinder thingys, could those be them? I noticed that the brown wire went into one of the cylinders.:dizzy: :confused: :confused: :dizzy:

14. Crash935

Okay, need to back up a minute, this is a newer fisher running the isolation module with 3 plugs at the grill with factory origanal lights or aftermarket replacemant lights that have been wired in?

Who did the install, dealer, you, friend? (just looking for common mistakes)

how long hs it been installed and did the lights work after the install?

Do the turn and markers on the truck itself work?

The plow itself functions properly?

15. DeereFarmer

Alright, here we go! It is the new three plug style with isolation module. I am not sure about the lights, but I would say that they are aftermarket ones that have been wired in. The guy I bought the truck from installed the plow himself and did a good job with it. He said that he had installed them many times and he did do it well. The truck has never plowed before this season. The ambers did work when I bought the truck and worked through the first two storms. Then they started to burnout one by one. I bought what I thought were the right bulbs, but they were wrong and burned out within minutes. I now have the correct bulb (1157 Sylvanias) and they will not work. The turn signals on the truck work perfect with and without the plow hooked up. The plow work perfectly and the headlight function fine with high and low beams. Everything is perfect except for the ambers. It is not a big deal, but one of those little things that annoy me!!! I don't want to hit or get hit my someone because the could not see my signal!:dizzy:

16. Crash935

Okay, lets start with the fuse to the iso module. Find the wires coming out of port 1 on the iso mod, follow the red wire with a black strip on it for about 6 inches and you should come to a black plastic fuse holder, check the 15amp fuse there. If the fuse is good then pull the lens off of the plow lights for the markers and with a test light, while the marker lights are turned on, probe the 2 terminals in the bottom of the bulb socket for power (dont touch the sides of the sockets with the test light). If no power there, then unplug the harness at port 3 at the iso mod, turn the marker lights on and test the end of the brown wire at the end of the plug with a test light. If you have power there, pull the marker/turn assembly on the drivers side of the truck (the one on the truck, not the plow) make sure that the brown wire is hooked up still to the brown wires for the factory harness. if they still dont work, let me know where you did and didnt have power at.

17. DeereFarmer

Will do! Thank you so much for your help!