1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher LD or RD for 01 chevy 1500 ext cab?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shawn106, Nov 8, 2003.

1. shawn106

shawn106 Junior Member
    from ct

I am new to plowing and this board.

I run a lawn service (stated this year) and now am thinking a plow for my 01 silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 6.5 box 4wd auto towing pkge heavy duty suspension 3.73 locker.

I noticed this truck is available with two front axles. 3600 lb and 3925lb.I looked on the door and i have the 3925lb,so does this mean i woul be ok with non heavy duty plowing?

Fisher sent me info on the application chart (pdf file) on the chart it lists the LD and the RD plow.They also say the LD plow is for non commercial plowing.I am still worried about the wt, 510lbs for the LD and 630lbs for RD.

All I want to do is about 15-20 residential driveways.

What should i get and expect with either plow? I want to take it easy.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The RD plow will be just fine on that axle,it is more than capable of holding it.
    The RD is not that much more expensive then the LD and it's twice the plow.Go with the RD.
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I would go with the rd 7.6" plow.You should have no problems at all and if you decide to pick up a small commercial account you can :).The RD is a bit heavier because it is built a little stronger,3 trip springs vs 2 on the LD.
  4. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

I had a 7'6" RD on a 95 F150. It was a real workhorse. I plowed around 20 driveways. I just sold it this summer. If you do plow any other driveways, you will definately want to go with the RD.
  5. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

I had the ld on a Dodge and it was small. All of the guys around here run the rd on their Chevy 1/2 tons. You should be fine with it.
  6. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Do a search on Timbrens....

No I don't sell Timbrens, but I do love 'em..... Cheap, fast, and easy way to beef up the front end a little.

Pete :waving:
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

definatly go with the fisher RD 7.6 ft plow. the fisher ld plow is way to small for your truck. install a set of timbrens to help beef up the suspension:jester:
  8. shawn106

shawn106 Junior Member
    from ct

Thanks for everybodies advice

As far as timbrens go,here is what the Fisher dealer told me over the phone, "You do not need timbrens,Fisher does not call for them on thier chart". Wow, i was not ready for that reply.

Should i get them any way,just to be safe?

Based on your responses,looks like i will go for the RD plow. $3,385 installed here in CT,soud like a good price?

One more thing,joy stick control or hand held? If i get joy stick,how should i have them mount it for most efficiancy?

Remember,i am a totall newbie at this.

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Timbrens are not mentioned in the Fisher book but are a GOOD idea nonetheless.
    $3385 installed is a good price and go with the handheld controll,you'll like it!
    PM me with any questions,i've installed a bunch of'em.