1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Jack

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mayhem, Jan 7, 2007.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Am I missing something here? Why does Fisher refer to the A-frame prop as a "jack"? Is a stick with holes in it so you can drop it and hold a certain height on the mounting point, but its certainly not a jack...last time I knew a jack was a ajck if it had the ability to at least raise (and hopefully lower) a heavy object through the miracle of either mechanical advantage or hydraulic action. I have a MM1 and all this time I thought they changed the prop rod to an actual jack on the MM2, but I took a look at my brother in law's MM2 8' HD yesterday and other than the fancy shmancy mounting lever the prop was the exact same piece of junk thats on my MM1.

Has anyone retrofitted an actual jack onto their plow? For those of us with uneven surfaces it seems like it must be a necesity. Like maybe an old mechanical bumper jack or something?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

While I hadn't given your topic much thought (didn't think about the problem), it makes a lot of sense. I also have the issue of uneven surfaces and would have enjoyed a little mechanical advantage from the plow stand. Oh well -- maybe next time? I used to use a floor jack with my conventional Fisher, but nothing for the MM1&2

~Kevin

3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I haven't had the need to do this, but my opinion is to try and fit a bottle jack to the plow somehow if you want to lift it hydraulically.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought they started calling it a jack because you got that stupid bar with a bolt end coming out if so you could adjust it some how. But the bolt breaks right away and everyone just throws it away. I also thought the same thing. I thought that handle could adjust the plow some how. Nope just saves you the time of walking around the plow to pull the pin out or pop it in. saves you maybe 10 seconds. Maybe they should change the name to 50 second mount plow

5. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Jack or Jack STAND

Mayhem:
    What Fisher calls a Jack is actually a Jack Leg, but what's the difference what it is called? A jack leg, a prop stand, a Jack Stand, does it really matter? It holds the plow when the plow is off the truck.

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The difference is that a jack lifts things, a jack stand holds things...thats a colossal difference in my book. What they call a jack is not a jack, thats all. I don't know about you, but I tend to prefer that people and manufacturers call thigs what they are. How wold you like to try and use the jack that came with your truck to fix a flat on the side of the road, only to find its just a jackstand and you're supposed to provide the actual jack?

7. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Refer to # 3

Main Entry: 1jack
    Pronunciation: 'jak
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English Jacke, familiar term of address to a social inferior, nickname for Johan John
    1 a : MAN -- usually used as an intensive in such phrases as every man jack b often capitalized : SAILOR c (1) : SERVANT, LABORER (2) : LUMBERJACK
    2 : any of various usually mechanical devices: as a : a device for turning a spit b : a usually portable mechanism or device for exerting pressure or lifting a heavy body a short distance
    3 : something that supports or holds in position: as a : an iron bar at a topgallant masthead to support a royal mast and spread the royal shrouds b : a wooden brace fastened behind a scenic unit in a stage set to prop it up
    4 a : any of several fishes; especially : any of various carangids b : a male donkey c : JACKRABBIT d : any of several birds (as a jackdaw)
    5 a : a small white target ball in lawn bowling b : a small national flag flown by a ship c (1) plural but singular in construction : a game played with a set of small objects that are tossed, caught, and moved in various figures (2) : a small 6-pointed metal object used in the game of jacks
    6 a : a playing card carrying the figure of a soldier or servant and ranking usually below the queen b : JACKPOT 1a(2)
    7 slang : MONEY
    8 : a female fitting in an electric circuit used with a plug to make a connection with another circuit