1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Intensifier Headlight Rear Cap Issues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Too Stroked, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Anybody else out there having issues with the rear caps on their Fisher Intensifier Headlights coming loose? Don’t get me wrong. These lights are so much better than what preceded them that a few problems are probably acceptable. But we’ve had the rear caps on several of ours come loose and / or break off.

I should note that Fisher must be aware of the problem because there has been a recent design change to address the issue. Early Intensifier lights had the rear cap held on with two Torx screws on one side and a molded in tab on the other side. Newer versions have one Torx screw added next to the tab, plus the two Torx screws on the other side.

So what’s the issue? On the early versions – which we have several trucks running – the back cap comes loose at the tab side – probably due to the head gear bouncing around. If the operator doesn’t see it flopping around at 3 AM in a blizzard after having been in the truck for 36 hour straight, it eventually flops around enough to break off right where the screws go through the cap. Then you try to find a plastic bag to cover everything until our mechanic can fix it.

We lost two of these caps in a recent storm. It would be bad enough if we only had to replace the back caps for around $25.00 each. But when the cap flopped around for long enough, the force tore the screws right out of the molded in bosses in the main housings. That meant that even if we got new back caps, we had nothing left to screw them into. That would mean new housings. And you guys know how much they go for.

So we ended up taking small pieces of Gorilla Tape (appx. 1” x 1”) and using them to hold the broken / double Torx screw side on. The locking tab still inserts in the other side. We even went as far as taping both sides on all trucks using the older style rear caps. Sure, it will be a bit more of a pain to remove the back caps when we do have to get in there, but it will be far less expensive than busting housings.

Hopefully this post will help some of you avoid the issue.

2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Two screw backing plate

The two screw cap lights are a complete PIA if you are plowing any area where you may hit an expansion joint or manhole cover. That's why they redesigned them because they tend to pop off. I have one setup that still has those two screw back cover intensifiers and I wrap black electrical tape in a loop around the entire headlamp assembly to keep this piece from coming off as they cost over $40 a piece last time I had to replace one. Yeah you can see the tape band around the headlamp assembly but its better than dealing with the constant failure of this crappy designed headlamp. Since using the tape I have had not one problem with the back cover coming off.

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah a buddy of mine has zip ties holding his on.I did hear a few years ago when the intensifires first came out the tabs breaking on the front of the light and the clear plastic piece falling off the front of the light

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Yea, I guess I forgot about that problem. We have two (of the older style) where I've had to mask off the housing and the lens so I could run a nice, neat bead of RTV around to hold the lens on.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

6. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

same here. Manhole cover rattled the cr&%&P out of the front of the truck.
    Ended up using gorilla tape wrapped completely around the headlight. In the front, it passes between the headlight and the signal. Doesn't impeded any light at all. Wanted to replace...that was before I got a new truck and the fischer went into semi-retirement.