1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher InstaAct motor question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ss502gmc, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

The other day I decided to clean the power and ground connections on the motor because it seemed to be drawing more load than usual. When I loosened the nut on the ground stud the stud spun a little and won't tighten all the way and after plowing today the motor stopped running a few times so I zip tied it to keep the connection going to finish plowing. Can I fix this some how the right way or did I make a big boo boo? Any input would be appreciated. I'm mechanically inclined but never tore into one of these motors before. Thanks....

2. They aren't too bad. Its a fairly simple motor with and armature and brushes. Use care in loosening the bolts. Pull it apart and see if you can clean and tighten that bolt/connector. Be sure to lightly lube the bushing in the end cap while you have it apart.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

shouldn't it have a jam nut on it?

4. it should and probably does....but it is not uncommon for the older ones to loosen up.

5. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

It does have a jam nut but when trying to tighten it the base where the stud goes into spins as well. Is the stud just screwed into the motor case secured by the jam nut? I got a foot of snow coming in the morning so I'm not risking taking it apart until I know what I'm doing bc it works right now with the ziptie lol I just hope it holds tomorrow. If it's grounded thru the case I should be able to ground it to a bolt in a emergency correct?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If I remember. The windibgs in the inside are attached to the bolt. But depending upon which motor you have I could be wrong

7. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

That could be the case because it looks like the circular base which is spinning is a different material. Maybe some jb weld could hold it...

8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I Snapped on of those studs once, took motor apart and used a bolt to replace the threaded stud, had to modify the head of the bolt to fit inside the motor properly as there was a space issue with the hex head on the bolt being a bit to large but in the end all worked well and still does. Not a difficult project. Just make sure you don't snap the long bolts that mount the motor to the valve body.