1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Insta-act what Hydraulic fluid can I use?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by beatle78, Dec 9, 2008.

1. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

What type of Hydraulic fluid can I used in the inst-act pumps?

I fixed a leak and I need to add at least 1 qt.

Napa auto is the closest auto parts store to me.

Thanks!

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'd drain out the whole system, and replace with new Fisher Fluid.

3. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Agreed. Never mix hydr oils. Since you don't know whats in there, drain it all and use a single fluid that you decide on. You'll get all sorts of opinions on this I'm sure.

4. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

by drain out the whole system do you mean drain out the reservoir?

Or do you mean drain out all the lift cylinders as well? I'll have to figure out how to do that.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

6. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

SWEET thanks! That's easy to do. I just need to go pickup some fluid!

7. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

YES, everything.... Resevoir, Rams, Valves ! It is the source of so many plow problems.
    Good luck

8. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

the yearly maintenance does not mention cleaning valves. Are they easy to remove? Look liem they are under a plastic shroud on the side of the pump.

9. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

I run a SEHP but I am sure the Insta-Act is very similar. It is VERY easy, remove shroud, disconnect wires, unscrew nuts, withdraw valves. Clean, blow out any crud, let any fluid drain out. The look similar to a valve stem in a shower/bath. They open/close, etc with power and diff control functions and crud in fluid can easily get caught up in there - they have small openings that lef the hydr fluid flow. So any piece of crud can easily cause trouble. Always smart to clean well. I can do the valve steps in about 10 minutes, start to finish. Plus, when you have to replace them, you will know how its done. Good luck.

10. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

thanks! Can I clean them with carb. cleaner? What do you use?

11. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

No to the carb cleaner!
    Just take out each valve and move any parts that you can by hand (some parts of the valve are spring loaded) and clean the entire valve in a small bowl of fresh hydr fluid. You can use a little compressed air if you wish but my Fisher guide says to simply clean in fresh hydr fluid. I use an old tupperware bowl - works great.

12. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

ok thanks!!