1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher insta-act power unit trouble. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tkmack, Feb 5, 2011.

1. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

I have a Fisher Insta-act power unit hooked up to an older, none Minute Mount frame. I have been using this set up all winter plowing for MassDot without fail. I also still have the belt driven pump still intact to use as a back-up in the event the insta-act fails, which it has. I have quick connects on both systems so all I have to do is disconnect from one and connect to the other. This arrangement works really well.
    The problem:
    The insta-act system will not angle left and when it angles right, it also goes up. I have bench tested all of the coil packs and all three valves. They all work as they should and just to be sure I replaced both S2 and S3 valves. I have checked for magnetic pull while assembled and all are working as they should as well. I also tried the Fish-Stik on another truck and it worked fine. I also rewired all the grounds going to the coils. I removed and inspected both poppet valves (no broken springs or bad parts). the only thing that I cannot check is the relief valves because I can't get the screws out (how the hell can I get them out!).I also drained and cleaned the reservoir/filter screen and filled with fresh fluid.
    I should also state that when hooked up to the old-school pump system every thing works as it should. Also, when I press the controller to angle the motor does always come on as it should.
    If anybody has a clue, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am pulling the hair outof my head!!! Thanks.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Did u ck the fuses?

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

To get the cross over relief and pump relief screws out I had to heat them up. I had everything apart so just the mainfold block was being heated. I also removed all the components before heating the block up, such as all the poppets, quill screw and anything that had an o-ring in it. Sounds like you have a wiring problem at your connectors at the grille and or plowside wiring.
    T.J.

4. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

Still a Mystery

Thanks T.J., I will try some heat although this valve block is now a spare. I ended up picking up a used one from a dealer that was loaded with all new valves minus coils and cartridge valves paid $170.00, not bad. However when I Installed it, guess what? Same problem! I am still working on it.
    I will post when (if) I figure it out. Everything electrical seems to be working.If you or anybody has a suggestion, I'm listening.

5. Bmxdkj

Bmxdkj Member

It def sounds like an electrical problem. Stop throwing money at it and try to trouble shoot. Fisher's website tells you how to test the plugs at the grill. Most likely that is the problem.

6. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

Connection in not the problem

Because this is an Insta-act unit on a non-Minute Mount and it stays on the truck when the blade is removed,, I decided long ago in my troubleshooting, to eliminate the possibility of a bad connector problem by hard-wiring directly to the harness. I wish it was that simple.
    I have been consulting the trouble shooting guide from Fisher. I can not see the obvious problem. That's the problem. Read what I have tried, at the beginning at this thread
    By the way. I am pretty convinced myself this is an electric problem. I'm just begging for some one to make me see the light.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

tmack,
    Do you have any pics of your set up. Did you mount the Insta-act horizontally or keep it verticle. If you mounted it horizontal did you use the horizontal 90 degree pickup tube. Got any pics of your set up. Make sure all your grounds to your solenoids are good, clean and tight. Also might want to look at the main solenoid unless you are running a trombetta one.
    Good Luck.
    T.J.
    I also made a tool to get the cross over valves out. I also have to adjust my Fenner and the screws are tight too.
    Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

8. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

Sweet Tool T.J.,
    I Mounted it vertically just as it is on a traditional MM factory set up. Bare in mind I have been plowing with this arrangement all winter and up until the last storm it has worked flawlessly. I was thinking about the main solenoid. It was new when I installed it in the fall.It is sending power to the motor and it is lighting a test light when it is sending power to the coils. That said, I probably should put a meter on it and see what kind voltage I am getting? Good suggestion though. For that matter I should be doing that everywhere. I have been relying on a simple test light to show me current. Which as I have stated I am getting everywhere and when I'm supposed to at the appropriate times.
    Wish I had some pics. Maybe I'll post some. It is basically set up the same way as a MM. Thanks again T.J. I really appreciate the suggestions and the pic. of the cool tool (might have to make one). This really is throwing me for a loop. Only angles right, but raises at the same time? Will not angle left? Motor runs on all commands. Raises and lowers as it should. I'll check on all your suggestions and if you think of any others. I'm all ears. I'll let you know how I make out.
    GB is spanking the Steelers!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Either you are sending power to S2 (right) and S3 (raise) at the same time or something is happening with the poppets (broken spring or bent poppet) but you said you checked that. Did you ohm out the magnets(coils), they should be about 7 ohms. You said you redid the grounds. Double check you did not mix a wire up with the power where it should be a ground. Cross over relief could be messed up too. Try to get those out.
    T.J.

10. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

ALL FIXED!!!....and i'm a knuckle head.

Well it's been some time but I had to step away from this plow to take care of other business. Well as I described in my original post, this Insta-act unit is installed on a non-Minute Mount frame so the unit always stays on the truck. Also, I still have intact the old-school pump and pulley system that I can use as a back up when/if , the Insta- act fails.
    Because of this,I have quick connects on the angle hoses so as to be able to disconnect when removing the blade from the truck, as well as being able to quickly switch from one system to the other. The lift hose is not on a quick connect because it stays on the truck when I remove the blade, and I figure if I need to switch systems in isn't to much of a burden to hook up the capped lift hose from the pump/pulley, which it is not.
    This is a pretty slick arrangement and has worked well for me...until this happened.
    After all is said and done, the problem was one of the quick connects. Both ends were worn just enough so that they would lock together just fine and not leak, but they were not meshed enough to open the balls inside enough to allow fluid to flow. I have been doing this for a long time and have had many plows hooked up utilizing quick connects and have never experienced this problem. I never suspected it but I feel I should have.
    I guess it is a lesson learned. All the time I really thought I had an electrical problem. It wasn't until I completely went through the electrical troubleshooting that I came to suspect the hose connections.
    Thanks to those who contributed suggestions, especially T.J. for the most sound advise.

11. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Who'd a thunk itThumbs Up