1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Insta Act manifold mod to underhood/Central hyd.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by TJS, Feb 2, 2015.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I want to modify an Insta Act Manifold for an underhood Pump. I wish I had a SEHP valve but I have an insta act I am going to play with. I am going to use a Muncie clutch pump. It flows 3GPM at idle/1000 RPMs. Currently my elect SPX/Stone Fenner pump has a larger pump in it now. It is a 3.1CC/Rev pump. Stock Fenners have a 1.6CC/Rev pump. Even after increased volume my old heavy diamond is faster coming up but I want more speed as I come up to a curb. I calculated the output of the fenner pump with the 3.1 cc pump. It only puts out 1.2 Gallons Per minute. Yes that is correct. The problem with elect pumps if you ever go a bigger pump they require more amps to run them and then you will get diminishing returns. Albeit, left and right movement is fast but coming up does not fit my needs.

The Muncie pump will hopefully complement my hydraulic wings I want to make later on as well. The Muncie pump puts out 3000PSI as well. I may also use a larger diameter lift cylinder to be able to handle the added weight. Again, this maybe a step backward for lift speed though.

Ok so onto the Insta Act manifold idea. Those of you who have had these apart will know when I am talking about. This modification will require me to machine a .750” plate where the stock pump would reside. I will also have to machine a pocket for the O ring where it mates the inlet to the manifold. Then machine another pocket with O ring in the plate for the return. On the other side of the same plate I will have to drill and tap for maybe 3/8” NPT fittings. So in essence the plate will be the adapter for the inlet and the outlet. I will also make a plate where the motor and shaft would have been. It will be mounted in the stock location with 2 hoses running to it and a quick disconnect block on the truck side. Call me crazy but I think this will work. Making a bracket set up to mount the pump will be a different story as I am going to use the stock serpentine set up and NOT run a separate belt off the crank pulley.

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I got the plate made and the Muncie pump. I have still pics I just have to get them up on my web server. Here is a quick video of the adapter plate I machined. I got all the spacing and measuments by measuing the hole spacing locations and some minor calculations.
    Vid:
    http://youtu.be/39Zu4iXf5X0

3. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

this idea is what i was thinking of doing with my straight blade as well. i didnt want a belt driven old speedcaster pump style to work my straight blade, now that i went to a V plow, i kind of 86ed this whole plan because i generally dont keep my trucks/plows long enough. but i happened to see this, and its exactly what i wanted to run a full hydraulic (serpentine) belt driven pump, and to run it off the crank pulley at idle id have to make some kind of an electric clutch to work the plow.

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Little change of plans in regards to running this pump on the serpentine belt set up. I found a great deal on a double V belt bracket and pulley assembly for 59 bucks plus shipping (41 Lbs yikes). I cannot even fire up my milling machine or tig welder for that let alone my time fabricating something. I still may have to modify it a little bit but this give me a great starting point. Stay tuned albeit the major build of this will not be until summer and get it ready for next season. If the double V belt set up does not suffice at least I will have template for another bracket to adapt to the serpentine set up later on.

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Some pics.
    Plate I machined to adapt to the Insta act manifold.
    [​IMG]

I have to fix the other hole where the other O ring will be. No biggie.
    [​IMG]

Here is the pump.
    [​IMG]