1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Insta-Act Issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BostonRamGuy, Feb 12, 2014.

1. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Old member back with a new (old) truck.

Picked up a ram 1500 with an older Fisher plow set up.

Yesterday the plow wouldn't do anything (stuck down), checked fluid which was fine, then drove around town a bit and suddenly it started working again just fine, was able to plow and do some clean up. Put it down and went to sleep.

This morning, same issue. Plow stuck down, won't do anything. Fluid seems fine.

What should I be checking for? I'm assuming the fluid is 1- freezing (cold nights), or 2- the filter inside is clogged up.

I'm trying to get it up running for the storm tomorrow and I'm not really up to par with plow repairs. Thanks!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Is the motor running? Connections clean and tight?

3. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

By checking this, I'm supposed to hear a clicking noise? (From what I've read), if so no. I don't hear anything when the joystick is moved. I'll verify the connections are clean and tight! Thank you for the response.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

motor running, like is the plow trying to move?
    then when you said it was stuck dwn, but then you drove around for awhile and it was starting to work not sure I understand this

5. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

No plow is not trying to move at all, no noise or struggle at all. Ya I live on a farm so drove around a bit with the plow stuck down, then all of a sudden it started working just fine.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start at all the connections. Then test light the solenoid, then move to the motor

7. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Dieselss, loose ground. Thanks for the tips and helping this new guy through his first storm with an issue!