1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Insta-act hydraulic leaks- HELP!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mkwl, Jan 27, 2015.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey Guys-

One of my brothers noticed that my newer 8' Fisher HD Insta-act has a couple "seeping" hydraulic leaks.

1) The unit itself seems to be leaking from between the flange of the valve block and the fluid reservoir- is it likely that it's the o-ring on the valve block where the two come together that's leaking? It's more like a slow seep after running the unit, runs down on two sides, and causes some drips on the bottom of the unit.

2) Seems all three cylinders are seeping around the seals- lift cylinder is the worst. Read something about it possibly being the packing nuts? can anyone shed some light on this, and the procedure to correct the leaks (properly adjust the packing nuts)?

Thanks!

Matt

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is it still under warranty?

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Newer Fisher rams don't use packing per say, so no adjustment of gland nut will stop the leak unless the nut is loose. They just have an o rings and wiper seal. These style ram will have an ORB fitting on them. The rams with packing have a NPT fitting on them. As for the reservoir, take off and check for rust where the large o ring seals it.

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

No it's about 5-6 years old

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What's the best way to id which kind of Rams it has?

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

. I doubt there is any rust around the o ring- there is basically no rust on the whole unit.

7. dieselss

The fitting at the hose. it'll have an extra nut on it

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It uses hoses with fjic fittings I know that...

9. dieselss

This is the orb fitting. With the jic on one end. Notice the extra nut

6801-1.jpg

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yes that is the fitting on the cylinders

11. kimber750

You may be surprised. The inside is an unpainted surface, moisture gets just above the o ring and starts to rust the reservoir.

12. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going with a bad o-ring on the bottom of the reservoir.When was the last time you changed the fluid?

13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm hoping it js just a bad o ring - change the fluid every fall but never dropped reservoir on this unit as it was a backup unit until this season...

14. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

id clean everything down with brake cleaner make sure the reservoir is full and watch it as u have someone move the blade around it will be a lot easier to tighten/replace a fitting then having to chg the can o ring thejic fitting not only screws in but that backing nut get loose and then fluid comes out

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I think I nabbed the hydraulic unit leak- definitely was leaking from the mating surfaces, took the unit off (PITA!), took reservoir off, found a little rust inside, tried cleaning it up, new gasket… still leaked :angry: So, got a new reservoir, new gasket, so far, leak free. Now my attention turns to the seeping rams- what's the procedure for changing the seals? Hard to do?

16. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Either replace the rams or bring them to American hydrolics in Paterson to have them rebuild them for u. they may even have a rebuiilt set of rams on the shelf they can sell you.

17. kimber750

Not hard to replace ram seals. Just pay very close attention to witch way they go because it can be difficult to get them out without damaging them.

18. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Don't bother with the seal kit,there is an "improved" nut/seal kit part # 48985,under $20 seal are in the nut.

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

OK- what's the procedure for changing them out? Anyone know what size wrench is needed to the nut on the pistons? Do all three pistons use the same seal kits?

20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well I think I figured it out- unscrewed the old nut out of the cylinder, pulled the ram out, took split bearing off (more like it fell off LOL), took other "sleeve" off the ram, slid the old gland nut off, lubed the new one, slid it on (from the end where the split bearing is), put it back into the cylinder can carefully (so as not to drop one half of the split bearing back down the hole), tightened the nut down, seems good now :) Sound like the way it's supposed to go?