1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher hydraulic issue !!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Gene69, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Gene69

Gene69 Junior Member

Hello everyone , new to the site here! Well after much thought this year I went and dropped some coin on a new fisher 7.5 ft SD plow. This is my second fisher and third plow I owned. One thing is for sure they don't make them like they use to. Well I have a issue that I was wondering if anyone had a idea of what's happening? When I angle left at the end of the stoke of the right cylinder I get a pulseing action, kind of a cavitation almost. Then the right cylinder relaxes about a 1/4 inch. Hit the left angle again and it goes bam against the stop and get this pulseing action. It only does this on left angle. Right and raise are ok. Dealer kind of blew me off and said as long as it isn't freewheeling back and forth ur ok. Also found a leak in right cylinder packing . Please help

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First find a new dealer. Shouldn't be blowing you off on a new plow. With a leak you may be getting air in the system and also may be low on fluid. I would have dealer repair leak.

3. fhafer

fhafer Member

Sounds like a pressure transient...does each side have its own pressure relief or is it shared?

Do you get the "cavitation" effect while angling under a load but not on the stop? If you do I would suspect you have a piston seal leaking internally. It's slight and not fully blown, but leaking by at the higher end of the pressure range. They don't fail catastrophically...they just get progressively worse.

A test pressure gage attached to the plow while you cycle it will show a peak pressure followed by a drop in pressure as the seal reaches it leak point.

Just a thought.

4. fhafer

fhafer Member

The odd thing is I would've expected the leaking gland packing to be on the ram with the bad piston seal. Strange.

5. Gene69

Gene69 Junior Member

Thank for the replies, my goof it is the left cylinder leaking. As as for the dealer issue , I will drop plow off this week to have him look at it. If he won't take care of it I will look at a different dealer and let Fisher know what's going on. I did look at a boss but I like trip edge plows. I only have a half ton truck. The dealer I bought it from is only like a mile from my house , and I bought a snow way from him 15 years ago. Hopefully we will get it solved soon.