1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Hydraulic fluid?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Nov 11, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

I am done with the install of my new Xtreme V but I can't find the recommended Fisher EZ Flow fluid anywhere around here (Colorado). Nor can I find anything that meets the Military specs that Fisher says I need. I found some Meyer fluid that says it's good to -60* and is "Aircraft Quality" but it does not say whether it meets the Military specification MIL-H-5606A. I am hesitant to put this fluid in my new $5000 plow. Any help?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Wherever you bought your plow from should have the fluid for it! If not, try CPW (sponsor).

3. BoulderBronco

Thanks for the response. But I bought it from a place in Illinois which is a bit far from CO. CPW is all good but again I can't get it up and running until it gets here. I'm looking for something for today. The fisher fluid is good down to -40* so I'm thinking the Meyer would be more than fine being that it's "Aircraft Quality" and good down to -60*.

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Automatic transmission fluid will work perfectly fine, and you can get it at any auto or discount store. Fisher is a great name with great products, but anything more than simple ATF is just upselling & exploitation of Fisher customers.

5. BoulderBronco

I kind of agree. At least on the older systems. But I'm not sure with these newer fancy pumps. I always used ATF on my plows but I am going with a dedicated oil for this one. I just used the Meyer fluid. Seems to work fine. And holy crap. This plow is FAST. It angles in all directions faster than any plow I have ever seen. Can't wait for snow!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong at all with the genuine Meyer fluid...
    Don't use ATF in the newer style pumps if you can avoid it.. they'll work better with the dedicated plow oil.