1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher hydraulic Drain!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RepoMan207, Oct 23, 2008.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I am disassembling my plow tomorrow for the "SANDMAN". Lets just say the only original parts left on this rig is going to be the Blade, A Frame, Upper and Lower Headgear, Pump Assembly, and the angle and lift rams. (I just replaced those a year ago at the dealer) Everything is either getting replaced or upgraded. Thus leading to my question......?

How does one empty out the entire hydraulic system with out making a mess? I have a MM straight 8 HD with the 4000 psi. SHEP. Obviously I know how to remove the drain plug on the pump, but what about the Angle Cylinders? And in which order should I drain / Remove them??

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your completely disassembling the plow it doesn't really matter in which order you drain the individual components. You also won't get every drop of fluid out of everything either so expect some mess.

1) Drain the reservoir
    2) Remove the hoses from the pump unit. Try to keep them upright until you get them drained from the other end.
    3) Place a small drip pan under each hose to angle ram connection and remove the hoses, allowing the hoses to drain into the pan.
    4) Once you have the rams removed dump the remaining fluid out of them through the threaded hole. Then thread a plug into them to keep them sealed until your ready to either flush them out or paint and reassemble the plow.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

got ya. Thanks B&B.