1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher HT nightmare installation

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BMonaco, Oct 18, 2015.

1. BMonaco

BMonaco Junior Member

Dropped my truck off at the local Fisher dealer Friday morning for an appointment to install a new HT. Got a call around 3 saying they couldn't get the truck out of park and my brakes lights weren't working. I was told they would check the electrical and keep me informed. After going there right after work, the truck was supposedly "all set". Trying to demonstrate to me the proper way of hitching and unhitching the plow caused a problem. After another 45 minutes I had to leave the truck another night so they could fix the push plates Saturday. Saturday at 10 I received another call saying it was "all set" and that they adjusted my push plates to work correctly. Upon arrival and a couple of demonstrations later, the plow went on and off correctly, only now I had an airbag light on, on top of having to use the manual bypass to get the truck out of park and no working brake lights. I discussed with the owner how I expect him to pay for the entire bill at the Ford dealership to get this all straightened out, and he gave me a roundabout answer of well we're not responsible for ALL of it, but to keep documentation of everything it took to fix the truck. After leaving on my way home my traction control will now not turn off. So after all of this, I have a truck with a brand new Fisher HT, that won't shift from park, no brake lights, airbag light on, traction control staying on, and today the battery died while sitting in the driveway. His guys really F'ed this up. By the way this is on a 2010 F150 Lariat. I don't know if anyone else has had issues like this on the same setup, or anything close to this. He'll be hearing from me first thing tomorrow morning and if he's not willing to cooperate a lawyer will be soon thereafter. I'll easily return the entire thing as long as I can take everything out of the truck, I don't want his guys touching it again.
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Is there another Fisher dealer near you that you could take it too to have them look at? Hopefully it is a "simple" wiring or similar screw up that someone else with experience could recognize and fix easily.

Good luck.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

id first try another dealer before you take it to ford. and keep all the documentation.
    my general experiences with dealers are they dont touch anything "aftermarket". I was always handed these type of issues as no one else would ever touch it.
  4. BMonaco

BMonaco Junior Member

There is another dealer about 20 minutes from me, and another about 40 minutes away. So maybe I should try one of those first, I was thinking the same thing about going right to Ford, they won't want any part of it. I'll make a few calls tomorrow and keep everyone posted, I know this can't be just a freak thing like the guy was trying to tell me, "we've done 80 of these this year and this is the first time we've had these problems."
  5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

What dealer? Was it a legit dealer or a sub dealer.
  6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Does the control shut off when you turn the key off? If they hooked the Ignition wire to source that is hot all the time it will drain the battery. Look and see where they ran the control harness through the firewall, maybe they drilled into something they shouldn't have.
  7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Call Fisher. It was their authorized dealer who screwed up the installations and consequently your vehicle.
  8. BMonaco

BMonaco Junior Member

Wright Trailers in Seekonk, I'll be contacting Fisher tomorrow morning as well, as well as hopefully getting it to another dealer asap, I looked at all the wiring, only thing odd I found was that they pulled 2 fuses, replaced one with a double fuse jumper and put the 2 they pulled in there. But I traced that wire to the in cab control. Everything else seems plug and play, I would have been better off installing it myself!
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

One fuse is the one that was in the fuse box the other is for the plow. This is common practice to use a fuse tap. But if what they tapped into is hot all the time it will drain your battery. Plow wiring needs to be tapped into a switched ignition source.

As for your brake lights and park interlock I would guess that something happened to the wiring for the brake light switch that is on the brake pedal. This is what activates the lights and the interlock.
  10. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

Try Onsite Truck Repair at 34 Colfax Street , Pawtucket RI. They are a Boss/Fisher dealer and outfitted my truck without a single hiccup. Good luck& keep us posted.
  11. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

before taking it to someone I would first look under the dash and check out the brake pedal area for the switches that activate the brake lights. i know in some newer trucks there can be 2 switches on the brake pedal,gm does that i know of. if theres one of them unplugged it can cause many different problems if the tail lights dont get energized. as far as dead battery,it sounds like what someone already said they probably hooked controller to a hot wire instead of key activated power only. someone else said to check wiring around any area they worked around. if you cant figure it out in half hour or so i would deal direct with fisher,they usually can direct you to a dealer thats been doing it for sometime and they have the proper tools to do the job. you might be surprised at how many installers out there that are working on newer trucks but dont have the knowledge to do it right. Good luck,it does sound like something disconnected or damage caused by the install.If you go to the fisher forum and post this theres a rep. that should chime in. not sure his name is john murphy ?
  12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Ford like to have 2 switches on the brake pedal. the F150's are notorious for the brake light/park issue.

Look at the brake pedal the lower switch needs to be replaced. it is the stop light switch and usually costs $20 bucks. Unplug, turn 45 degrees to clockwise, I believe.

This circuit will tie the brake lights, shifters together. I bet the guy installing bumped the switch while feeding wires through - the switch is cheap.

The air bag lights .... may also be tied to the stop light switch. replace it yourself - it's easy and cheap.

Since the customer never bothered to come back and finish this story,we'll finish it for him. We instructed the customer to bring it to the auto dealer and have it diagnosed at our expense. Turns out the problem was related to the customer installing his own aftermarket fog lamps and destroying his truck harness in the process as he drilled through the firewall. We have the pictures. The problems arose when we had to work underneath his dash to install the plow and the wires he had cut half-way through split fully. In spite of the fact that we were not at all responsible for the damage, we paid for the cost of getting the truck diagnosed anyway. Obviously, this is the thanks we get.
  14. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

As noted above there are always two sides to every story. Thanks for clarifying .