1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher homesteder

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bumblebee, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

hi I'm new to this site.I'm looking to put a homesteader on my 06 ranger and i was wondering what your thoughts were on the plow and will my ranger push it good?

2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I have installed two of them for a freind and his step Dad, one on a Chevy S10 and the other on a Brand New Tacoma, easy plow to install. very light and both work well on their applications. I don't see why they wouldn't work well on a Ford Ranger. One caution, these plows are not HD commercial models so make sure you plow with the storm, every 2-3 " you need to move snow, don't wait untill there'e 5-10" down. you'll kill the plow and the truck. JMHO

Jay

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Jay's right. Good plow in general, good match for your truck, but it can only take what it's designed for.

4. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

terrible plow set up

i own a steader on my yota , and the motor is Junk.. it cant handle the load , my opinion , I'm on my 3rd motor in Less than 2 seasons !!!!gl

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

thanks i'm jest doing a few drives i was looking at a snow way 22 but the only thing i see different is the dp witch i don't think ill need

6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Have you checked out a Curtis Home Pro? They are a bit sturdier than the Fisher IMHO, and I think the pump is a better , more durable unit than that of the Fisher, JMHO

7. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

yes BB

check out others , cause i swear i would do it differently , If i could do it over again ,,, bad bad motor on Fisher Steader ! gl winter just started !

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

i havent looked at curtis yet i dont think there is any dealers around me.iv heard mixed things about the steder some say they love it and some hate it.im jest looking for some thing lite that will get the job done and not kill my truck with weight.whats the prob with the motors?trying to do to much for the size?

9. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

''under engineered ''

is what i get from fisher ! the electric motor has definately been a weak spot on the homesteader ..mine doen not consistantly perform , the brushes seem to be sticking inside , but there doent seem to be a remidy to ''fix'' the problem , rather than keep 'replacing -it'' for for me !!! ask around , iv'e been able to obtain a 50/50 reply from other owners too, 50/50 is NOT acceptable to me by a long shot ,, gl

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Junior Member
    from ny

iv been lookin at ather threads i get the same 50/50 well more 80/20 i think for what i need it for and for the price it will be fine thanke for the info

11. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

goodluck

i'm sorry i just wouldn't purchase a Homesteader ever again , even if they were FREE ! GL

12. mustash29

mustash29 Junior Member
    from SE CT

1st winter with mine, a 7.4 on a 03 Blazer ZR2. So far so good. Pulled an all nighter (8hrs) installing it the night of the first 10-12" storm we got here. Cleaned it up just fine. It keeps me and 2 relatives happy.