1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Homesteader problem

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by rrush1631, Feb 11, 2010.

1. rrush1631

rrush1631 Junior Member
    from nh

My Homesteader plow wont go up ,down, left ,right. It just clicks when I use the controller.Any ideas?

2. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

3. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

All connections good? Solenoid working right? Try hotwiring the motor with jumper cable and see if it spins?

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

If your getting a clicking sound then your Motor Relay (solenoid) is most likely toast.

The way to test a motor relay is to take a single wire (10 gauge or better) and jump the two big terminals on it. The plow motor should engage, if so, the solenoid is junk.

If it still doesn't engage, then do as Graycenphil suggested; run a set of jumper cables off the battery to the corresponding terminals on the plow motor, if it engages then you have a problem with the connector at the grill or somewhere along the way. If it doesn't engage, then the issue is the plow motor itself.

motorrelay.jpg

motorrelay2.jpg

motorrelay.jpg

motorrelay2.jpg

5. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Give the motor a few light taps on each side with a hammer.

Warm to cold is a problem for these motors- any moisture that accumulates and freezes will prevent the motor from running until it is freed up.

If you are able to warm it up inside, your problem will also be solved- but only until it gets very cold again.

I had to start tapping motor #2 recently and just had motor #3 delivered to me yesterday!!

6. luv2plow

luv2plow Member

poor 'ol steader

i'm on my 4th motor , all were graciously covered by my dealer though , the problem seemed to be the brushes were pre-maturely wearing out ? i saw them w/ my own eyes too, this year things have been , so-far-so good , but iut hasnt really snow here much ,, gl w/ your motor, other than that , it has been superior to work with .