1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Homesteader Leaking Like Exxon Valdez

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by LilyBayXJ, Oct 24, 2013.

1. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Hi, all! I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I fairly mechanically inclined when it comes to Jeeps, but not so much with plows.

So I bought a Jeep this past summer, an '06 Wrangler Unlimited, and it came with a 6'8" Fisher Homesteader. It seems to be in pretty good condition, but when the plow is raised it leaks fluid from what I think is a relief valve. I mean, it leaks a lot.

The dealership I bought it from put it on the Jeep. I had to drive it 60 miles home in heat of the summer, with fluid leaking and blowing all over. By the time I got home the front of my new Jeep resembled the Gulf Coast. I had parked the plow, but we got our first snow shower today in Northern Maine, so I figure it's time to address the problem.

Any ideas as to why it would leak like this? Too much fluid perhaps? I've attached a link to a parts diagram and some pictures below.

http://parts.fisherplows.com/
    (Correct diagram found under "Homesteader" --> "Hydraulic Components")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I believe that screw is for quill adjustment. Been awhile since I worked on any homesteaders. Does the plow drift down on its own? How fast does the plow drop? You can try turning the screw in. Can't remember if it has an o-ring on the screw.

3. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Yes, is does drift down. I forgot to mention that. It drops probably 1 inch/minute. I'll go try tightening the screw right now.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Is it coming from the quill or another spot? Hard to tell from the pic,,,and hard to see on the phone

5. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

That did it! I tightened the screw all the way down and it doesn't leak a drop. Quill adjustment? What does that do?

6. dieselss

Quill is for your drop speed. So you may have to back it out a little

7. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Oh, okay. I backed it out a bit and it drops as it should. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Since I've lost fluid, I should probably consider replacing some. Does that go in the gray screw on the top of the reservoir? The setup didn't come with an owners manual... Is there a dipstick of some kind?

8. dieselss

I haven't dealt with them so I can't say. I will say maybe ck fishers website for all the info

9. LilyBayXJ

LilyBayXJ Junior Member

Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks again!

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Yes you fill thru the gray vent plug. You will need to check the manual but think you fill to with in 2" or 3" of the top.