1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Homesteader goes left and right but not up and down

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Taco Plow guy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Taco Plow guy

Taco Plow guy Junior Member

I have a question. First and foremost let me draw a picture for you. I have a fisher homesteader with a handheld control.

I had one of the mechanics (BMW not hydraulic tech) change the seals in the right side ram (cylinder/piston) as they were seeping hydraulic fluid. He changed everything without a flaw, however, he made one slight mistake putting it back on the plow and I will get to that. I hooked the plow back to the truck and used the left and right on the joystick and the plow went left and right without a hitch, BUT when I lifted the plow up and down it would only come up 3 inches and get stuck. it would go down and up no problem, but only 3 inches, left and right still no problem. So we began to decipher the issue and thought that maybe there was hydraulic lock in the cylinder. We tried to manually compress by putting a floor jack under the plow and lifting it up but the cylinder was stuck or so it seemed. So we disattached the top bolt from the double acting cylinder (up and down cylinder) and undid the relief valve on the left side on the top of the cylinder and attempted to manually compress the cylinder and voila it compresses. So while compressed I jack up the front of the plow and the whole front of the truck lifts up it is now that I notice that the right ram had been put back on backwards and the whole time it was getting caught on the right ram fitting. (what a pain in the ass) We undo it and turn it over and put everything back together. Here is where the problem starts.... The plow will not go up or down now, it will go left and right but not up or down. The pump trys to make it go up or down but nothing happens. I lowered the floor jack and the plow just drops to the ground. When I try to lift the floor jack back up to compress that cylinder again it won't compress. We took off both hydraulic hoses top and bottom from the double acting cylinder and tried to compress the cylinder and it won't budge. I am totally perplexed... what are we doing wrong... I know there is a simple solution to this but I can't figure it out. Please help

2. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Obvious, but make sure fluid is where it should be.

Does it make noise when trying to raise? I assume it does as you said it tries to.

Wiggle all connectors and solonoids (behind a plastic cover on yours maybe)

See if any of that yields results.

Anytime I hear plow noise but no result its one of my solonoid connections not allowing the proper one to open/close. Easier to diagnose with 2 peeps as one can work the controls and you can wiggle wires/connections.

Use pulses or you will work that motor hard and your batteries even harder than constant on.

3. Taco Plow guy

Fluid is right up where it should be and the pump makes noise when trying to lift the plow as it normally does. It does not sound like it is overworking...

4. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

when you removed the relief valve on the lift cylinder did you reset the relief valve to the proper setting? Sounds like you screwed it all the way in. The relief should be bottomed out and then back it off counterclockwise about 5 1/2 turns. This relief valve is a scrape lock and it is designed to prevent the blade from lifting while plowing. Try backing the relief valve the number of turns mentioned above and that should solve your issue. if not let me know.

Brian

5. Taco Plow guy

Thanks Brian, you the man.... It works like a charm now. Mucho appreciato..