1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher headgear problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mansf123, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

The headgear is pretty rotted through towards the botom of the bracket. Its not the piece that the piston sits on its the piece that goes up to the lights. The metal seems very thin to begin with but heres my question.........how much weight is actuall put on that part of the headgear? Also how should i go about welding where it rotted through.

I know thats hard to follow but any help would be appreciated and feel free to ask me questions.

2. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

It is my understanding that the whole headgear takes on most of the load and stress when the plow is off the ground.I think if it were me, I'd replace the whole headgear or at least the whole pieces that are rotted. Any pics so we can see just where the head gear is rotted?

3. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

ill try and get a pic. but its the center of the tubing that runs up to the lights. Its not the thick metal that is holding the lift piston up.

4. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

so it is where the triangle mounts to

5. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I believe that the pieces that you are refering to are the up right angle iron pieces that hold the nice yellow triangle. It holds a good portion of the weight. It holds that wieght vertically. If its a minute mount then it holds horizontal weight as well. If its a quick switch or older pump driven plow then there should be two pieces of flat stock that bold to the back of the head gear and to the push plates. In this example it only holds the up and down wieght of the plow. Either way i would suggest replacing the whole piece of steel or find new headgear. I would think it would be easier and less time consuming to replace the head gear.

6. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

right above the slot the push plates slide into is my problem. The tubing runs from just above where the push plates slide in up tp the yellow triangle. The only rot is the bottom 8 inches of that tube....the rest is solid. I plowed all season last year with it like this so im assuming if i weld a few new pieces of steel it wil make it solid

7. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

You have a minute mount i am assuming. I would say that it would be easier in this case to just match up some square tubing of the same size cut it to length and weld it in place. I would make sure that you remove the rot that is there or it will spread like wild fire all over the place.