1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher HD MM2 Marketing Strategy?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Moss Man, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

Last fall I bought a Fisher HD 8' MM2 used and I have been very pleased with it. The truck I have had the on truck gear already on it, so I just purchased the "off-truck" part of it and went to plowing driveways for a little pocket change. I had a plow route years ago and got away from it as my main job just consumed too much of my time. Plowing now fills a gap for me as I do firewood in the warmer months.

Long story short, I want to upgrade to the Fisher Stainless 8'6" Extreme V for next season. One member here said he might sell his next fall and it's the painted version, I might be interested. I definately want a used one, the new prices are out of my reach.

I'd like to know the best strategy for selling my plow, I'd like to list it now and if I don't get a decent price I can sell in the early fall. My preference would be to sell now and be looking for the upgrade than to wait untill fall and be stuck scrambling for a decent used one in time for plowing. Alot of good deals might pass me by in the off season.

Should I market the wiring harnesses with the off truck portion of my plow? Is it worth the time to clean up the scaley paint and paint my plow? Or just sell it like I bought it last fall. I paid $2400. for the off truck plow, it was used but in pretty good shape. It appeared to be a fleet plow that didn't get used alot for some reason. The pump had just been done and everything is tight and works as it should. I'd like to think I could get most of my money back, but it's worth only what someone is willing to pay.

I'll put it in the equipment for sale section here when I decide how to sell it. In the meantime, here's a shot I took of it today;

[​IMG]

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's realy hard selling plows and plow trucks in the Summer. Over the past few year I have bought 3 plow trucks (they didn't take a sticker) to sell and I didn't get any interest in them untill Fall. Come Fall the phone wouldn't stop ringing. You mite as well try to sell it durring the Summer. But, you probably won't have very good luck unless you give it away.

3. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

put it up on Craigs list

4. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

come fall, that plow if you give the wiring and controller with it should bring you around 2200 or so, right now its about 1800. especially since it has the old style lights. wait it out if you want the extra cash

5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Even swap for a 7.5' MM1:)

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Sell it in the fall. It will sell in a week or less. Plus if you get an extreme v plow you will not be able to use your current wiring and harness so you might as well sell that with the plow. I think you would at least get $2400 for the plow and wiring, I would market it at $3000 and go from there. If you try to sell now most guys are looking for end of season deals and they have no problem walking away from the deal if it is not in there favor. Wait till Fall and good luck.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Put it on craigslist now and keep reposting weekly. I put my Xblade on craigslist and had about 3 bites a week, but I was firm on price since I didn't care if it sold or not because in the Fall it would easily sell for what I wanted.

Get in contact with Repoman207 about the Extreme V. He can get a brand new one from Langs, with 2 year warranty, for about $4600, if you don't need some truck side parts then it will probably be cheaper.

8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Take the summer and clean it up. Fix the rust and repaint the headgear. It will 100% sell in the fall, but you can name your price if it's in pristine condition. As a buyer, I am always willing to pay a little more for something in good shape that looks like its really been taken care of. I'll walk away every time from something that looks like its just been used and forgotten about.

9. plowguy43

He also paid $2400 for it, is it really worth spending a couple hundred on fixing it up just to maybe get $2400 for it again? Or leave as is, and get $2000-$2200? I'm talking plow side only.

10. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

I dont know about you, but I'm always going to try to get as much as I can for everything. If he's just repainting headgear and plow to sell, he can get paint mixed in an aresol can. I've never spent $500 touching a plow up. If he has the whole summer to do it, why wouldnt he spend less then $50, probably less than $25, and spend a little time and make an extra $500. That would be $500 more towards his new purchase. Maybe it's just me being anal, but I've never taking the lazy way out of anything. If I can make $500 dollars for a little spare time, I cant see any good reason not to. JMO.

11. plowguy43

Oh I understand, sorry I thought you meant sanding the plow and headgear down completely and having it completely repainted. Thats why I was thinking - $200-$400 for sandblasting, and another couple hundred for repainting. My bad!:salute:

12. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Na. Just clean it up to sell it. $20 and a couple hours go a looooong way when its time to sell stuff lol. payup Remember, your selling it. It only has to last long enough to sell, not the next 10 years :laughing:

13. plowguy43

LOL I hear ya there - put a little perfume on the skunk.

14. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I have seen two real good deals on Xtreme V's, but they are both 9'6" and I think the 8'6" would be a much better match for my truck.

I had planned to go over my plow when time allows, just scape the flakey paint off the headgear and do some touch up on the black. The yellow might not be worth touching up, the plow is quite faded and the Fisher Yellow won't match any more.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  15. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Depending on how serious you want to get cleaning it up, you could have someone like Carquest shoot it with their paint matching gun. Just knock off the flakes and clean the rust. Then just blend the new paint in with the old, should match pretty close. May not be worth it to you.

16. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Where have you seen these plows? I'm in the Market for a 9'5 extreme v in stainless. Shoot me a pm. Thanks.

17. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I sold this today, I had to toss in the wiring harness to get my price, but I couldn't use the harness on the Xtreme V anyhow.

The search is on for a good clean stainless Xtreme V, although I'll need some time to come up with the extra cash for the upgrade.

There was some talk here of a good place to get a new one at a decent price?

18. plowguy43

There you are.