1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher HD headlight issues

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by stratdude, Oct 19, 2015.

1. stratdude

stratdude Junior Member

Hi, I have a 2012 f250 that came from the dealer with a 8' HD fisher plow on it.
    Suddenly this summer, my hi-beams on the truck started blowing their fuse. (no plow hooked up. blows instant you turn the brights on, every time)... I took it to the dealer who claimed that it was the plow wiring harness (said it was all melted or damaged) and/or module and they disconnected the fisher plugs from the backs of the headlights and put the stock ford plugs back.. No more fuse blowing.. To fix they wanted to replace ALL the plow wiring and the module for a crazy price of $800-900.. I said "no thanks".. Been driving it this way since..

Fast forward to now that winter is getting closer, i decided to look into this. Today i pulled the grill/headlights and saw nothing notable on the wiring. So i pulled the entire harness and module out.. I could not find any physical damage/melting on the harness. I didn't pull all the wiring out if its harness looms but i figure if it is blowing the fuse it would mean 2 wires in the loom would need to be damaged which isn't likely since the looms all look great.

I brought it to a fisher dealer to see if they could test my 3 plug module, they said they couldnt, only with my truck.. They told me they doubt it is the module as they have never heard of one going in this fashion.

So i put it all back in the truck. I hooked up the plow and everything works on the plow but the headlights of course, since they are not hooked up.

I would hate to buy a module for $130 to find i still have the same problem.. Also would hate to buy a harness for $225 if it is the module.. I was really hoping to find a bare or melted wire and just splice a new one in, but i cant find anything of the sort..

Ideas?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If the high beams are blowing without the plow installed that's half the harness right there.
    I'd start with hooking up one light and see if it blows, then the other.

3. stratdude

stratdude Junior Member

Yes i have done that, forgot to mention. I disconnected the passenger light completely from the truck and the fuse still blew. Ford did indicate the issue they saw was on the drivers side as well but i see no evidence of any damage. They may have just done the same thing i did. I dont know, i really dont trust them

4. dieselss

Ok, so did you disconnect the drivers side with the pass side still hooked up?

Fyi, I/many others have seen a small puncture cause a big problem with the wiring.

5. stratdude

stratdude Junior Member

No i didnt try that since at the time i ran out of fuses and getting to the drivers side on these trucks involves pulling the grill and light housing. I would think to short the truck fuse there needs to be a wire shorting to ground or another wire

6. dieselss

True.
    Was there ANYTHING done before the fuse started to blow?
    Do you have the wiring diagrams?

7. stratdude

stratdude Junior Member

nothing was done. My girlfriend was driving it one night and said when she went to put on the brights, there were no lights. The only diagram i have is the one in the fisher manual which is a very basic connector diagram, doesnt get into each wire/pin.

Could it be a bad module?

8. dieselss

It COULD. Not ruling that out by any means.
    Just agreeing with the dealer that it's rare.
    3 port 3 plug correct?

9. stratdude

stratdude Junior Member

yes 3port/3plug..

10. dieselss

11. stratdude

stratdude Junior Member

cool thanks. drawings are always good to have!

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Do you have any friends that use Fisher and nice enough to let you try their module?

13. stratdude

stratdude Junior Member

No all my friends have Boss plows.

14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like you need some better friends. :rolleyes:

But in the end I would put my money on the harness being bad. See that much more than bad modules.

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Where r u located at