1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher HD blades

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rtm038, Jan 18, 2011.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

With the introduction of the X-Blades, does anyone still the buy the classic yellow HD blades? Just curious.

Ryan

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Sure. I know two fella's that bought new 8' HD plows this fall. They plow out in the country on mainly gravel drives, so probably they don't have the need to pay the extra money for an X blade.

I purchased a used (5 year old) 8'6"HD this fall. Seen very little use, dosen't look like I'll be using it this season though.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

oh ya thay still do. Thumbs Up

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I think the HD's are still their biggest seller, probably due to price. All around the Xblade is a much better blade and plows 100x better than the HD's.

5. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I agree with plow guy. They still sell Yellow plows and if you drive by the new car lots thats all you see on trucks. And the Xblades are a 100x better plow. But IMHO only if you change out cutting edge to a regular one. I think they cut better and trip easier.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I se mostly HDs in my area. Some Xblades, but not many people have them.

7. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

after using the xblade for the first time this year i don't think i will ever go back to a painted plow the xblade works awsome.

8. plowguy43

Its crazy really. I used to think the world of my old HD's but after using the xblade I think they are crap in comparison.

IMO the xblade is the best straight blade on the market.

Can a regular cutting edge be bolted onto the xblade? I think I'll get one if they do.

9. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

haha that's what my same thought was.There was a thread on here about cutting edges for the xblade and you can't put a regular one on becasue it has to be center puched for the xblade but im going to put an edge on my soon and i am going to put a 5/8 center punched on it will last longer.

10. plowguy43

Ahh I'll have to look for it. Mine is getting low on the sides.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i made my speedcaster scrap better.

4" lift kit and 35" tires. pitched that blade just right. payup

12. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Yes they can. You have to get the 3/4 hole punchs and if you have an 8ft I would go with 6inch. 8inch ones I have read make it trip happy. I think if you get a high way punch you get all 10 bolts. I am heading out in a few and wil snap a quick photo. So a 8ft 6in 5/6 thick with the 3/4 in bolts The xblade uses the same olts as the 9ft Hds. So sorry if I am off on the bolt size. but tis the bigger of 2

Yes you can put a regular edge on a xblade and you get so much more use of the cutting edge. You have like 3+ inches of edge before you even hit the base angle edge. unlike you 6in flip which you are into you base ange real fast. I bought my edge at Permaline in Brockton. I will post a picture real soon friend

13. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

14. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Great relies everyone. I really like the old HD plows, but I've owned (2) X-blades over the years and they are great. Was just curious if the X-blades had taken over.

Ryan

15. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Seems the price of the Xblades is getting comparable to the HD blades now too. A few hundred dollars more and you have an Xblade. I haven't bought anything new in about 5 years, but if I was to buy new I'd go for the Xblade