1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher guys, I need you for a sec.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MC94XR7, Nov 25, 2015.

1. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I'm looking into Fisher. I drive a 2010 Toyota Tundra. The sales rep suggested I go with a 7.5' blade. He suggests the HT. I notice the SD is out there and people seem to like it. The HT looks more aggressive but I'm not to sure on it's ability to back drag though it looks as though it will get under ice. I see others running 8' HD plows on their Tundras too.

My next question is: Is the HD based off of the SD or HT but just 8' or is it in a league of it's own? I basically mean the Attack angle. the reinforcement is different on all 3. also, the HT isn't a chain lift. I also see that you can get a Back drag blade for the HD. That doesn't come with it, does it?

'Preciate 'er, boys.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the HD is the old RD Ive used the RD/HD for 29 years on my Jeeps they are good blades.

NO plow comes with a backdrag edge!

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I use to run a 7.5' SD on a Tundra. The SD is a great plow if you aren't doing long pushes or a big area. If you are just doing a couple driveways it will be fine. But, the HD blade weighs quite a bit more and will scrape a lot better, it also won't ride up when the snow is wet and heavy. I run an 8' HD now and haven't had any issues. You wouldn't think that three inches on each side would make much of a difference but, it really does. I don't think I will ever be able to go back to a 7.5' blade after having an 8'. If you have any more questions about plows on Tundras let me know, I'm more than happy to help.

4. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

You have been awesome! How much ballast are u using? Did u mod yr suspenion with that setup? Did u experience any front droppage with the plow up? Is there a locking feaature on the plow while she's down? I got some bridgestone blizacs on their way. I ordered them skinnier tires than stock. They got lots of slits in the tread for slippery hard packed snow and chunky tread for grip in the snow. I think these tires seem like an all round tire. I have a lot of suburban driveways & 1 doghnut shop for work so their fairly shirt pushes and pulls. Preciate 'er BigTimes, bud!

5. mercer_me

You have been awesome!
    Glad I can help!

How much ballast are u using?
    I have 500 pounds of sand in plastic totes.

Did u mod your suspension with that setup?
    I have Bilstein 5100 coil overs and Timbrens but, if I was going to do it again I would get Bilstein 612 coil overs and Timbrens.

Did u experience any front droppage with the plow up?
    The front end drops about 3/4" when the plow is raised.

Is there a locking feature on the plow?
    Are you talking about a scrape lock or down pressure feature like on the HT? If so, then no it's just a regular chain lift.

I got some Bridgestone Blizacs on their way. I got winter skinnier tires than stock. They got lots of slits in the tread for slippery hard packed snow and chunky tread for grip in the snow. I think these tires seem like an all round tire.
    Those should be good tires. Having an actual snow tire is always better. I just run BFG All Terrains because I'm to cheep to buy two sets of tires.

I have a lot of suburban driveways and one doughnut shop for work so their fairly shirt pushes and pulls.
    If you are doing quite a bit of plowing (witch it sounds like you are) I'd go with an 8'.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Isn't the HD out of production? Pretty sure it is. HD2 is its replacement and adds about 17# to the total weight of a comparable HD plow.

OP from what you are saying you will be plowing I would go with HD2 and the mods Mercer suggests. If need be you can add a back drag edge if you do a lot of back dragging. Also scrape lock doesn't push down on the plow, all it does it lock the lift ram to help keep the plow from riding up. This feature is not needed on the heavier plows. It can also cause issues with plow following the surface if you have a lot of ups and downs.

7. mercer_me

Yeah sorry, I keep forgetting it's the HD2 now. I agree with everything you just said.

8. kimber750

Waiting to see the HD2 in person, have two to install next week. A 8' and 7.5'.

9. mercer_me

My boss is buying a new plow this week and I'm pretty sure he has decided on an 8.5' HD2.

10. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I'm mainly doing suburb driveways. I got 1 donuts shop. Ho exactly does "scrape lock" work? I picture with a chain it goes up. is there a pin that get actuated electronically into the A-Frame to lock it in the current position?

11. kimber750

No chain. It is a direct lift and through valving it restricts the fluid from leaving the lift ram.

12. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

oh so thats just the HT that has that feature.

13. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

The OME 612s seem pretty sweet from what I been reading since it's a complete kit that replaces the springs too. but I think I might take another page out of your book and go with the 5100s and timbrens. Mainly because my wife will be owed more explanations and I don't feel like explaining anymore. ;) I'm now actually thinking of the Tundra "C" frame. I'm gonna hae to baby her with the plow. I almost want to weld in some sheetmetal and close off that frame and find some new heavy springs fromt and back and see if I can get her out of 12 tonne range. but that may be another topic for another time if anyone can tell me what is done to a truck differently to make trucks a 3/4 tonne or a 1 tonne. Mainly the key differences between them and a 1/2 tonne. I notice the F250's springs are meaty compared to the F150.

14. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I talked to my aftermarket Auto parts guy and he's suggesting I get spacers. He says the 5100 shocks basically preload the suspension when not fully extended. He laughed when I brought up timberins. He claims it is technology from 1973. I think the way I rather go is get heavier springs if they make them. He warned me that with all that weight on the front end, my ball joints will be taking a lot of wear and tear. Your guy's thoughts?

15. mercer_me

Does he own a Tundra with a plow? I do and I haven't had any issues with my setup. I'm not saying it's the best setup but it hasn't failed me yet.

16. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

lol not at all. How long have you been plowing with your Tundra? Also, How long have you been using your HD blade again? If my ball joints start wearing, I will look into weather or not there are some heavier duty ones available.

17. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't worry about trying to fabricate your current truck into a 3/4 ton or larger. Use what you've got. Make some money with it, and in a few years if you feel like it, get a super duty. The difference between a half-ton and a super duty isn't just suspension. The actual frame is completely different. Just use what you've got for now.

18. mercer_me

I've been plowing with a Tundra since 2010 but, last Winter was my first Winter with the 8' HD.

19. butchbenner

butchbenner Junior Member

I am also looking for opinions and advice from Tundra owners on plows. I live on a private 400 yard dirt road maintained by myself and my neighbor. He has a JD tractor that he pushes banks back with and I have been spending about an hour and a half per storm on my 4 wheeler. Time to put a plow on my Crewmax. It is lifted about 4/5 inches and running 35 inch tires. I want to go with a fisher. I will mostly be plowing my driveway, neighbors and road. I have a garage to keep the plow in and don't mind taking it on and off. Dealers say the 8 foot is going to run heavy for front end parts/ball joints ect. Im pretty confident in my truck but I also understand that its not a 1 ton. I see Mercer Me is running a 8 foot on his truck but its a double cab not a Crewmax. My truck weighs 6,600 on the scales at the dump. Is there a difference in the Double cab or Crewmax for weight? Thanks guys for the help

truck.jpg

20. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

Thanks, bud! I'm thinking to get a different truck later. either a F350 or a cummins 3500