1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fisher Freeze up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hoshuay, Feb 11, 2014.

1. hoshuay

hoshuay Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi! I have a Fisher 8' MM2 that I bought set up on a 2006 Chevy 2500HD. The plow was bought new in 2006 with the truck. The original owner plowed their parking lot and only put 11,000 miles on the truck. The truck and the plow look brand new.

When I first plowed with it everything was great for the first couple of passes. But then it started to lift very slow and had trouble turning to the left. I brought it in to our local fisher dealer and they said it probably had water in it the system. They drained the fluid and put new fluid in. They also put a new vent cap on it because it was missing. They said this was how the water got in.

The next storm the same thing happend! I decided to check the fluid. Thinking it was low I attemted to top it off... but it was full. I decided to drain the fluid but when I removed the plug nothing came out! It was blocked with ice. I warmed up the plow and drained the resevoir... it had about a cup of water in it. I was really pissed that it had just been serviced and still had water in it. I brought it back to the dealer and they did a full flush on it and replaced a valve they said sounded like it was sticking.

Then next storm same thing happened... What would you do? I have heard some people do a dry gas treatment? Should I just keep flushing it myself?

Also I had a problem last night when I tried to drop the blade. When I pushed the down button on the fish stick it would not drop. after a few attempts I would push down but it would go left or right. Finally it dropped...

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

A bad seal on ram(s) could allow water in

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yup top seal sounds like

4. hoshuay

hoshuay Junior Member
    from Maine

Wouldn't I see oil leaking if there was a seal problem?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U would think so but that's how most water enters system

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

when you did a drain and refill, did they/you flush out the angle rams?
    did you pull the tank and ck/clean the filter and magnet?

7. hoshuay

hoshuay Junior Member
    from Maine

1st time the dealer drained and refilled
    2nd time I drained and refilled
    3rd time the dealer did a "full flush" including lower rams because I requested they do so. The dealer I am fairly certain they did not pull the tank apart. The dealer seemed to think I was out of my mind when I told him how much water was in it a week later. He blamed the freeze up on a bad valve.

I've dumped almost 300 into this thing this year! Would have been cheaper to pay someone to plow for me.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well just doing a drain and fill dosent get all the water/bad stuff out.
    If it was me, I'd drain it again and pull the reservoir and inspect the filter. And pickup tube

9. hoshuay

hoshuay Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks everyone. I will attempt to do it myself and hope all goes well. I will post when I finally figure out the problem. Cross my fingers that I do not screw it up worse :)

10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

put some isopropyl alcohol in it just a couple of caps to help dissipate and water remaining