1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fisher fluid in meyers pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by home rescue, Feb 1, 2004.

1. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Hope you guys have had a safe and profitable season so far. Any way I have an e-47 pump, totally rebuilt by dealer last feburary 03 and just flushed out 3 weeks ago. Although it was -2 degrees this morning pump raised and angled this morning at 7 am at 8 am it sarted moving slow and stopped moving. Heated with a big torch and started moving perfect. dealer didn't flush angling cylinders says he never does, so any way no more work goes there, question is close fisher dealer to me can i run the fisher hydro fluid in my meyers pump it is low temp. thanks guys for all the lessons, with a little more knowledge maybe i can start becomming helpful to others.:confused:

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Not sure on Western fluid, But Tractor Supply and several auto parts stores carry meyer or meyer approved fluid...Chuck

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

fisher fluid and meyer fluid are almost identical, just dont run atf in it or you will have problems

4. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Thanks guys, seems like my meyers dealers are kinda undependable. One of the dealers has the state contract for municipalities and the state and they don,t want to take time for the little guy. But the place here that deals fisher equipment the guys are really helpful.

5. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Funny, I got a few bottles of Meyer fluid. I was wondering about using it in my Fisher!

6. Big Nate's Plowing

the only difference is that the meyer is blueish teal and the fisher is a light amber color, same addatives, same deicer, just a different color

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hey take it to the Fisher dealer if you need work, a lot of repairs are the same from brand to brand. They should have the manuals or will get them if they need to, or send out pump repairs. I would drain and refill your pump with the good stuff and you may get away with it for the rest of the season. That's pretty poor of the guy to sat "we never do the rams" that's part of the service involved, that's just a lazy answer from him.

8. kjett

kjett Junior Member

My Fisher/Western rep says to just use ATF in my plow. Says it's cheaper and basically the same thing. Not sure how that will work in the Meyer plow though. For that I'd stick with a good hydro fluid designed for extreme cold weather like the stuff from SAM, their replacement parts are good too.

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

ATF is way too thick to use in Meyer pumps. Also it does not have any deicers. Some dealers just don't care, or are too stupid to know better. I would avoid him....Chuck

10. Big Nate's Plowing

no the dealer wants to make a repair sale, using atf will blow out the pilot valve, plus it will attact moisture

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Even more of a reason not to use them!!!!!:nono:

12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

atf

atf, thats all i ever used never had any problems but then again
    we rarely see temps in the -20 range for weeks at a time.

its snowing now 4in plus
    :drinkup: :drinkup: